What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (3 Viewers)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m interested in getting the Disney Hulu espn bundle. But I have Hulu live tv already.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I’m not sure it’s over the top.

The bottom is going to fall out for theatrical releases any day now. That entire part of the industry is in trouble and Disney’s serialized, franchised, spoilerized films are probably most responsible for theaters still being viable today.

I once talked to a theater owner and he flat out admitted it was overpriced junk food keeping theaters afloat. That was more than a decade ago. The situation has not improved since then. The cost of tickets is the main reason why this is. Another reason is that distribution companies more than half off the top, and Disney even more so.

The biggest problem the studios face in these changing times is getting people to pay for the content they consume. It’s really hard to do that at a theatrical level and even Disney’s tentpoles with 100% brand recognition and weaponized spoilers aren’t going to be immune.

Better for Disney to start making this transition now while their theatrical business still has some life and before audiences are completely overwhelmed with an explosion of new streaming choices.

It's more than just the theatrical model that is dying. Network TV will probably go before it does. I wouldn't put it past Disney to start looking at ABC as the next thing to "restructure." How much longer can they go on paying more and more for a smaller and smaller piece of a pie that's been sitting on the windowsill so long, birds and ants have started pecking at it? How many people born in this century, the newest generation of adults, have any particular allegiance to ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox if they've grown up with so many alternatives to them?

Studios need to adapt and change with the times and meet each generation’s audience where it is, or they’ll either wither and die or explode spectacularly. MGM basically doesn’t exist anymore. Paramount is wasting away in front of our eyes. Sony is clinging to life in large part because they’ve allowed Disney to make their hits for them. Fox sold itself for parts. Warner is consistently missing the mark on most projects big and small. Universal seems to be doing slightly better by exploiting areas other studios have abandoned or are too timid to attempt.

This feels like the smart move from Disney. Worst case, streaming doesn’t work long term (no indications that it will fail though) and their tentpole business is currently thriving. Now is the time to take this chance.

MGM has been clinging to dear life for as long as I've been alive, if not longer. That they lasted past 1990 is a miracle in and of itself. Never mind the omissions from Disney+ or the modern Disney company falling short of Walt's vision in any way; MGM doesn't even own the movies that built its reputation! They lost them and the hyphens to Mr. Jane Fonda, whoops I mean Ted Turner. I'm just scared they'll be Disney's next acquisition since they were already partners in a now-renamed land at WDW. Columbia takes good care of its library, including its multiple pre-Coca-Cola Best Picture Oscar Winners, but recent additions to its catalog are a bit lackluster. Disney will not stop trying to get Spider-Man back from them, but what will them have left if they do? Maybe Sony should just sell it or spin it off, except they might end up in the same boat Paramount used to be in. Paramount is basically being kept alive by Tom Cruise at this point, and that split-up of Viacom and CBS should never have happened. They'll be paying for Les Moonves' misdeeds for years to come, and in addition to the sex stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if there was book cooking, too. Warner Bros. spamming every sector of their business with F(r)iends crap thinking that it is going to pull them out of debt makes me not want to support them, either; wake up, doc: it's not 1994 anymore. Comcast has been better for Universal than I thought. The Vault Fire of 2008 was before they came into the picture, IIRC. At least they have seen fit to start remastering their TV catalog in HD. The one show Netflix lost that I miss most of all is one they own: Murder She Wrote. They had all 12 seasons uncut, in HD and 4x3.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Man I hope not too many Verizon unlimited customers paid for that 3 years in advance deal...

I did and I don't regret it. If I had held off for a deal like this and it never materialized, then I'd regret it.

Secondly, I'd much prefer to work directly with Disney on any potential problems with the service than have Verizon being involved. The more layers I have to do through to get what I want, the worse experience it will be.

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
Just read that even if you signed up for the three year deal, the free year with Verizon will still work, they'll just delay the three year purchase until the free year is up.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Citation needed.

It's much more likely that they will simply extend your subscription end date than some kind of wacky delay as you describe.

Especially since millions of us have already been charged.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Citation needed.

It's much more likely that they will simply extend your subscription end date than some kind of wacky delay as you describe.

56EF987A-5B70-44E9-B277-4C3A7A33759E.jpeg

The number of people Verizon says will get free Disney+ under this deal...

50 million.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks