1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney+ Launches Nov 12, 2019 - Now witness the power of this fully operational streaming service

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by DaveF, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Message #341 of 405 Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Oh, I personally won't roast you. You have a very valid point. I am 100% streaming, but I certainly see the flaws in it, this being one. It's not enough for me to change anything I'm doing, but I acknowledge it's there...

Josh Steinberg and Jason_V like this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think you guys have both hit the nail on the head here for the irreconcilable contradiction here.

These things are both works of art and works of commerce. And treating them as one thing almost inevitably shortchanges the other thing.

But on the other hand - isn't there something kinda cool that these films span generations in ways that most other content simply doesn't? There has to be some value in that too.

I don't either but I'm open to the possibility that they know what they're doing and that they might have a solution that works. And if not, I'll pull the Blu-ray off my shelf and watch that.

3. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    A reminder that Michelangelo's works of art were commissioned.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    We don't roast people here, but we might boil you.;)

Jason_V likes this.
  5. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    I saw it theatrically recently - from the new 4K master - and it still opened with the Fox logo, so I guess Disney decided to acquire the video rights to go along with theatrical.

6. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    They should put the uncensored version of Dumbo on Hulu with a disclaimer in front of it.

7. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Is all this discussion about a censored version of Dumbo hypothetical, or does an actual censored version exist? I’m unaware of a cut version being shown anywhere.

8. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It’s been reported in a few trade journals that a newly edited version will debut with Disney+ but we don’t have much more than that to go on.

9. David Norman

David Norman Producer

So far I'm finding nothing to support any of this other than an article in BoardwalkTimes which has no support statement, no statements
    from an insider (named or anonymous). Every other article I've seen has been traceable to this one statement tacked onto a SOTS explanation. Is Boardwalk Times or Elizabeth Pfeiffer someone of note who might know such things.

I can find tons of stuff bringing up the same thing with each DVD re-release.
    I can find Whoopi Goldberg's strong defense of the Crows in Dumbo is Hero characters rather than stereotypes.

I can't find a single Disney Name to attach to anything to do with Dumbo scene removal.
    Is there someone here who could contact a real insider and either confirm "We're considereing" "We've decided or not":, or shoot this down before it snowballs further

10. Message #350 of 405 Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    If the reports are true, then I would be curious as to how the revisions would be handled. Cutting the crow scenes would not be as easy as excising the Bing Crosby blackface sequence from "Holiday Inn" or the offensive "Fantasia" centaurette because it is integral to the film. Is Disney planning on making replacement footage? If so, I think a no-win situation is being created.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    In some regards that's true, but streaming has its advantages too. Personally, I use both almost equally to enjoy my movies. It's like having the best of both worlds. As a film lover, current times have never been better for me.

12. Brian L

Brian L Producer

I’d go with sous-vide......much greater precision.

MatthewA likes this.
  13. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Hehe...That will work for me. :P

Streaming certainly has advantages and I do stream. But I do draw a line in the sand when it comes to MAR or commercials or cuts made for broadcast. After I started learning about film, I never watched another movie on a broadcast network again. Haven't watched anything on AMC or FX. If you're gonna cut it, that's your prerogative. It doesn't mean I have to watch it.

MatthewA likes this.
  14. Message #354 of 405 Apr 24, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Mine is. No Song of the South, no sale, especially when a blatant ripoff (that I have been subject to harassment and threats for criticizing elsewhere) is available and when Whoopi Goldberg and Floyd Norman came to the prior (and superior) film's defense. And especially when the regime that took it away enabled Harvey Weinstein and John Lasseter's* behavior. This is why I reject all arguments about so-callled "free speech" when people feel corporate malefactors have the right to make decisions for other people about what they can and can't watch, defending corporate censorship by defining it out of existence. I just got back from visiting my family, and my Mom listens to 60s music on satellite radio; they still play The Mamas and the Papas despite John Phillips' unspeakable crimes against his daughter (whom I have met), and The Ronettes despite Phil Spector's murder conviction. My boycott is not just Disney+. It's the whole company. Hopefully it won't be just my boycott for long. Deprivation of choice is not freedom of choice.

The movie that turned me off of watching theatrical movies on network TV was – you guessed it — Bedknobs and Broomsticks. ABC aired it in 1987 and 1989, and it pained me to see a film that was already cut out of pettiness, spite, and outright prejudice** cut even further to advertise TV shows I hate and products that will shorten your lifespan. At least I was privileged enough to be part of a family that could afford cable and a VCR, so that wasn't my only option. The same Iger regime that undid all the work it took to put this magnificent film back together to the way it always should have been is the same one that is doubling down on censorship of another magnificent film that made the existence of a whole bunch of other ones possible***. Somehow I doubt the two 1970s hybrids will be any different here than they are on Blu-ray.

*Ron Miller, under whose post-Don Bluth regime Lasseter was hired, was drummed out of Hollywood for much, much less. Incidentally, a good number of the employees of the 1979 walkout were women.
    **Cutting Roddy McDowall out of any film is a hate crime. Cutting Roddy McDowall out of this film should have gotten the studio dragged before The Hague. They still should. Instead, it was Roddy who got a visit from the FBI over his own film collection in 1971.
    ***This means your movie about a fox and a rabbit, too, Jason Bateman. He actually spoke the phrase "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" in a 1988 film called Moving Target, one Disney has no claim to at all. That was only considered worthy of made-for-TV status while his sister's Satisfaction that same year was worthy of a theatrical release. Disney does own that now since Fox made it.

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

Yikes.

Anyway. I have said befor that I would keep D+ for every day that they include SotS.
    Guess I won’t be doing that now that it seems Song isn’t going to be included.

Now I need to get a laserdisc player that I can connect to my system as the old one I have doesn’t connect.

MatthewA likes this.
  16. Message #356 of 405 Apr 24, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    If vinyl and even cassette tapes are making small but steady comebacks, who's to say laserdiscs will never be seen again? Or VHS tape? They may even give Beta one more chance! :D

17. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    Keep in mind that there will be roughly 350+ films available on the service that are not on the lists I posted. In giving a presentation introducing the service, obviously they are going to promote the product that is going to have the greatest mass appeal. However, we do know that roughly 2/3 of the content that will be on the service hasn't even been revealed yet.

Arthur Powell likes this.
  18. Message #358 of 405 Apr 24, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    We're not going down that rabbit hole regarding "Free Speech" and I don't believe it's "Free Speech" issue as outlined in the United States Constitution. Furthermore, that is a political topic that might be proper for another forum besides HTF. This is a film/entertainment corporation versus consumer issue that has nothing to do with government and their laws. You can talk about Disney censoring their film assets to the general public, but let's not conflate the Disney censoring issue with something else. Furthermore, any future posts that broaches "Free Speech" will be deleted from this thread with perhaps further disciplinary action.

Sam Posten and Josh Steinberg like this.
  19. Mysto

Mysto Supporting Actor

marv long
    Has there been any indication that they will tip the entire content of the site before launch?

20. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Disney has other unrelated ethical infractions that make it hard for me to support them in their current state. Even with the proposed debut slate in posts #296-301, outside of Pixar I'm more interested in pre-2000s Disney which represents a small fraction of the lineup. Most of these are already available on tape or disc.