What's new

Disney Launches Digital Movie Service (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm an iTunes guy, so this is great news for me. I signed in with my Disney movie rewards account, linked up my iTunes account and Voila! All my SD copies were now HD and the digital downloads of Blu-rays that did not support iTunes (Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and The Muppet Movie) were also added to my iTunes collection!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Patrick Donahue said:
One important thing tough - I skimmed the TOS for this... does anybody see if it gives the same inherit promise of these digital purchase effectively being a lifetime license like UV does?
Which leads to my question-
I never bought any of the "Digital copy" editions of Diamond limited-release animated titles back in the 00's, so I wouldn't have seen Beauty/Beast or Lion King, etc., show up briefly on DMO. (And I always got the Target storybook editions, so I never got the DC's of Cinderella or Peter Pan, either.)
For those who did, are they showing up now? Or am I right in assuming that "the Vault" applies to digital titles as well, and it's a good thing I kept the disks? :)

(I did get the 3D+DC edition of Little Mermaid, so that's showing up, but think it hasn't gone back in yet.)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Its not UltraViolet's fault that it doesn't work with Itunes, its Apples. So Disney built their own system to work with iTunes because Disney's CEO is on the Apple Board, and they want to enrich each other's companies. UltraViolet is a vastly superior system, that works with 6 Major studio's, 5 major retailers, with more coming soon, and many other hardware vendors. When the Common File Format is deployed the world will see its superiority. DisneyMoviesAnywhere will not have tha capability to do many of the things that will be available, and within two years there will be consumer demand for it. So maybe in 2016 Disney will finally join UV. I think they are just dragging their feet because they don't want people to share accounts, and they don't want to upgrade physical discs for 5 bucks a pop.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Now, if only there was a way to transfer my Vudu only Disney movies into this new service. I accidentally chose Vudu for my Planes DC and now my kids can't watch it on the Apple TV. Iron Man 3 is the other one that I have only in Vudu. I have found one bug, the iPad version keeps signing me out of the app for some reason. Right now, I see two major benefits with this app. The first being the instant upgrade to HD for all your SD digital copies, which is really nice for AppleTV owners. The second is that you can now stream bonus features on iOS devices which makes it easier to airplay to an AppleTV. I still can't believe that Apple continues to restrict "iTunes Extras" content to PCs and MACs. Apple really needs to figure out a way to allow iTunes Extra content to be streamed directly from an AppleTV, instead of having to download it first to a laptop and then use airplay.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Chris Will said:
Now, if only there was a way to transfer my Vudu only Disney movies into this new service. I accidentally chose Vudu for my Planes DC and now my kids can't watch it on the Apple TV. Iron Man 3 is the other one that I have only in Vudu.I have found one bug, the iPad version keeps signing me out of the app for some reason.Right now, I see two major benefits with this app. The first being the instant upgrade to HD for all your SD digital copies, which is really nice for AppleTV owners. The second is that you can now stream bonus features on iOS devices which makes it easier to airplay to an AppleTV.I still can't believe that Apple continues to restrict "iTunes Extras" content to PCs and MACs. Apple really needs to figure out a way to allow iTunes Extra content to be streamed directly from an AppleTV, instead of having to download it first to a laptop and then use airplay.
See my post above. As long you used your movie rewards code (same code that unlocked your VUDU copy) with your Disney Movie Rewards account, once you link your Disney account to iTunes all your digital copies will transfer to iTunes.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Nope, i always just go to the website on the card (something like digitaltcopyplus.com or something like that), I've never used a code on a Disney Movie Rewards account, never had one until now. I don't now why I chose Vudu for Planes. I think I did it for Iron Man 3 because I wanted the HD version and iTunes wouldn't always give you the HD version.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
+1 Its ridiculous that they would make this only work with apple products when ios isn't even the most popular platform anymore. This isn't 5 years ago.......this is why people pirate movies. I'm not about to go trade in my devices for apple ones make this work.....no thanks!
I believe iOS is more popular in the US (and some other locations). More importantly, much more money is being made in the iOS ecosystem then Android plus support costs are less as well.

There was a time when market share mattered but that was because it followed that the most money was made by going with the most market share. That simply isn't the case in this instance.

-Keith

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Chris Will said:
Nope, i always just go to the website on the card (something like digitaltcopyplus.com or something like that), I've never used a code on a Disney Movie Rewards account, never had one until now. I don't now why I chose Vudu for Planes. I think I did it for Iron Man 3 because I wanted the HD version and iTunes wouldn't always give you the HD version.
If you didn't throw the code away, it should still work with your Disney account. You never saw the need to redeem Disney rewards points? Do you know how many free Blu-rays and DVDs I have gotten as rewards? Of course I but a LOT of Disney titles. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just logged into that site and have a bunch of Disney movies now availabe in HD that I probably never watch in HD because I already have the bluray and because I don't have anyway that I know of to get the movies from my ipad2 onto my tv.Also my favorite question in the FAQ that isn't really answered.Do Disney Movies Anywhere downloads expire?Subject to certain restrictions, once a movie has been added to your Collection, you will have access to watch it as often as you like. For more information, see Disney Movies Anywhere Terms Of Use.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Also I have only claimed about 2000 points on Disney and probably have thousands more that I could upload.I just never get around to it and don't care.Did get one free movie it was the 3D version if A Christmas Carol.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
TonyD said:
Do Disney Movies Anywhere downloads expire?Subject to certain restrictions, once a movie has been added to your Collection, you will have access to watch it as often as you like. For more information, see Disney Movies Anywhere Terms Of Use.
"Subject to certain restrictions", meaning, if you look up the puchase listings for Snow White, Fantasia/'00 or Aladdin, you'll see them marked "In the Vault", and unavailable for purchase. Unless you bought the disks for the first two, of course, which, IIRC, didn't have the "Digital Copy" option at the time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok actually the correct answer should simply have been, "NO".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks