Disney is traumatizing my 4 year old

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Marc_E, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I am sure everyone has noticed how often the mothers in Disney animated films are killed off (most recent example would be Finding Nemo
    ) and I did not think to much of it. My 4 year old daughter I think is very intelligent and sharp for her age and we have discussed death enough to help her start to understand it. I never gave the mother thing a thought until recently when my wife and I would go out (which we do very rarely) and the sitter would tell us that my daughter cried a lot while we were away because she thought her mother was not coming home! I can only assume it is because of this mother-killing tendency.
    Anyone else with this experience?
    Marc

2. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

Yeah, I always found it weird how they always find a way to inject death into a movie aimed at children. The cynical answer is that it's a cheap plot device to create instant dramatic tension that lazy writers use. It's a crummy trick.

3. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Marc.....I just see it as a normal stage of a child's development. It's called attachment anxiety. Look it up in google and you'll find a wealth of information. I would not be too worried about it. I use to babysit my cousin when she was about that age and was witness to the same type of behavior when her parents left. She eventually just out grew it.

Hope this helps!! [​IMG]

4. Joe_Pinney

Joe_Pinney Stunt Coordinator

Joe Pinney
    Uh, "tramatazine"? Sounds like a new anti-psychosis drug from Eli Lilly or SmithKlineBeecham.

"Feeling anxious? Ask your doctor about Tramatazine." [​IMG]

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I don't think this is a software-related discussion. Not even a film discussion. Therefore, it goes to After Hours.

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Watch Lion King to balance it out...

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Argh...can you put spoiler tags around the Finding Nemo
    statement?!?

8. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

I haven't seen Finding Nemo
    but didnt't the character of the mother being referred to die years before the movie takes place
    ?

9. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I certainly hope so Mike. I hadn't seen the film yet but was hoping to do so soon. I hadn't heard any spoilers yet...

10. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

It takes place in the first 90 seconds of the movie. I find it hard to call that a spoiler.

-Lyle J.P.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Spoiler if you want to know about the Finding Nemo
    thing:
    The mother dying event happens at the very beginning of the movie

12. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I hadn't seen it yet either, thanks.

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I wouldn't call it a spoiler either. It wasn't exactly a big secret anyway, since I read about the scene in question several times before the movie was even released and it had no bearing on my enjoyment of the film.

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

OMG!!! The movie is ruined for all of you.[​IMG]

You know, I'm of the opinion that a little bit of exposure to death/mortality early in life can be a good thing. Obviously, moderation in all things applies here, but I find that many of my friends who've been shielded from it until they are adults, go completely whack when someone close passes.

My mother actually died a month before my 5th birthday.

Todd

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Dude...

after watching Bambi
    as kid I just about *freaked* wondering what would happen if my mom suddenly died.

Still a fantasic movie and I wouldn't change it one bit nor would I wish that I had not seen it...but it is quite serious subject matter!

Maybe the solution is to talk to your kids after watching a movie and discuss different things about the story or lessons it taught and see where it leads. Movies that are more than "fluff" are always bound to spark something meaningful...even if at times it's a little painful in getting there.

-dave

16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Doesn't Disney have a history of dealing with the death of characters?

In case you haven't seen it yet, I'll use spoiler tags...

Bambi:Bambis mom dies

Dumbo:Don't they kill off Dumbos mother?

etc.

EDIT: I see Dave already mentioned the Bambi thing.

17. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Mark,

re Dumbo...she gets locked up but not killed. BTW...talk about tears city! The scene where she cradles dumbo with her trunk hanging out the window through the bars of the "jail" train car (with "baby mine" playing in the background) can send me through a whole STACK of tissues!

18. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I don't care what people think or at what point it takes place in the movie or what details the press might have already spoiled. If it's part of the movie, I want to experience it myself. Even if it's only in the first 90 seconds of the flick.

This is the first I've heard of that detail and would have preferred to find out while watching the movie.

19. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Didn't they lead you to believe Dumbos mom was beign killed? Oh well, It's been a while since I've seen it.

Also, I think parents with young children should watch the movies BEFORE they let the kids watch them. Even a "G" rated movie may not always be appropriate for the youngest of viewers.

According to the MPAA:

20. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Mark,

By that crieria, virtually every aspect of a movie's story is automatically a spoiler! If one is that sensitive, they shouldn't even watch television commercials advertising films (and should definitely avert their eyes during trailers at the theater).

In the spirit of this thread, I'm going to "spoil" the rest of the Pixar films for everyone right now!

* In "A Bug's Life", the grasshoppers are the bad guys.

* In "Monster's Inc.", the monsters power their city with the screams of children.

* In both Toy Story movies, the toys can actually move and talk on their own! (creeeepy)

Okay, I'm done. :p) [​IMG]

-Lyle J.P.