What's new

Disney is going to lose tons of money because of this (i.e: Honey, I Shrunk The Kids) (1 Viewer)

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
One thing I really hate about Buena Vista Home Entertainment is that their "budget" line titles either have features that change constantly untill release date or...

the listed features are not the same as what is on the disc.

Indian Summer is listed as pan & scan yet the DVD contains a letterbox transfer.

Maybe it is presented in letterbox widescreen, maybe 4:3 cropped open-matte, or even 16:9 widescreen.

Either way, I'll just watch my R3 Hong Kong DVD which is letterbox widescreen.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hmmm too much excessive ranting here, none of the 'Honey' films were even remotely made in widescreen, so you won't be losing that much info on the sides, I have a soft spot for the first one, hate the sequels, I wouldn't mind replacing my soft muddy video copy, and with nice 5.1 digital.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"Honey I Blew Up the Kid" is 1.85 hard-matted (one of the first movies I got to show in a theatre) and presented that way on laserdisc. "We Shrunk Ourselves" was made as a straight-to-video release though, but it does have a 5.1 soundtrack (I think this and "Aladdin and the King of Thieves" were the first non-theatrical titles to get 5.1 soundtracks.)

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I would have bought Honey, I Shrunk the Kids too -- if it had been OAR. :frowning:
Another sale lost. Not that Disney cares.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This is appalling. Even "The Cat From Outer Space" got a letterbox transfer!

[rant]When You Wish Upon a Star for Disney to do something right, they go and do something Dopey like this, and then Eisner, the Lyin' King, feeds us a Spoonful of Sugar-coated BS about how he's turning the current situation around.

To him, it's as if he took a magic wand, and Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo, the stock price is up again. No such luck; even the stockholders have noted the dawning of the Age of Not Believing anything he tells us. Ever since the death of Frank Wells, Eisner's Candle on the Water, the stock price has fluctuated so much that now it's Under the Sea.

No one ever said anything but this silence wasn't Golden, Girls, it was deafening. Now people are finally speaking out, and A Whole New World of intelligent business decisions may soon be coming. The prospect of Katzenberg being co-CEO was a Beauty, and the Beast who was in charge drove him away!

He says Pooh to any suggestions anyone has, no matter how intelligent. For "classic" titles we get great DVDs, but for budget releases we get Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. Even the Bare Necessities of a decent DVD are something on which we can't count.

This Goofy CEO is turning Disney into a two-bit Mickey Mouse operation run by very Ruthless People. I expect a year from now he will be fired, making him anything but The Happiest Millionaire. Thus ends this Song of the South-bound intelligence of the Disney company. [/rant]

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I would buy Honey, I Shrunk The Kids & Honey, I Blew Up The Kid if it was released in their OAR.

Disney, you lost my sale since these movies are not in their OAR.

NO OAR=NO SALE

I used to not care if movies were released in Pan and Scan but not anymore. For me to purchase a DVD, the movie(s) on the DVD must be released in their OAR.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I cancelled my pre-order for HISTK this morning when I heard this news. Sorry Disney, I already have a non-OAR VHS of this title, without an OAR version, there's no incentive to upgrade.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Disney: You Shrunk the Movie!

No OAR = No Sale.

And the bottom line is, whatever money you make on Honey/Shrink movies, you would have made more with OAR combined w/Pan and Scan on the same release.

Dan

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
This is going to do wonders for sales of Malata players, when these titles get their inevitable R2 widescreen release :)

-- J.

R. Kay

Second Unit
Actually ...

Disney will make tons more money.

Kids want 'Fullscreen'.

Again, the idea of making each disc released both 'Wide' and 'Full' makes complete sense!

MGM does it with a dual sided disc. Others would be foolish not to follow (if they want Widescreen to continue in the marketplace).

Mark Hanson

Agent
Disney will only care if you let them know each and every time that you spent money elsewhere. They cannot add up the no sales if you do not tell them. Then after a number of movies it may sink in that a second transfer 10,000 bucks 100,000 lost. Oh, but until then no chance of a change. So keep those emails and calls going.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"Honey I Blew Up The Kid" being widescreen on laserdisc was one of several things that motivated me to upgrade to an LD player, too....

Keith Helms

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like they just released this 2 weeks ago in R2. Amazon UK has it listed as widescreen. Anybody in the U.K. know if that's correct?

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Keith, the UK version appears to be non-anamorphic widescreen. I checked a number of UK etailers' sites & that's what they all indicate.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Kids want 'Fullscreen'.
And your conclusion is based on .... ?

In my experience kids don't care one way or the other. It's their J6P parents who complain about black bars to Wal-Mart.

Generally, I don't like when MGM puts both versions on a single side dual-layer disc (e.g., Legally Blonde) because bitrate/image quality suffers. But these "Honey Shrunk" movies are short enough such that it wouldn't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks