Disney is going to lose tons of money because of this (i.e: Honey, I Shrunk The Kids)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicholas Vargo, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    I made a visit to DVDEmpire.com earlier today and I noticed the cover art for "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids" and "Honey, I Blew Up The Kid" was up. I checked it out. Unfortunately, the word is OFFICIAL. The discs will be full frame with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. This is a gigantic pisser because I would have loved to had heard those movies in 5.1 audio. Unfortunately, not in full frame, I won't. We said it before Disney, and we will say it again.

NO OAR=NO SALE

Disney, you are going to lose a lot of money because of this decision. Remember, we don't buy full frame movies.

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I too would have liked Honey I shrunk the kids, but no such luck now.

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

They won't lose a ton of money, when you consider 1) how little commotion they have made of their budget catalogue titles, 2) how few people buy anything other than 'new releases', and 3) how many people who were going to buy this title will not because it's Fullscreen. Unfortunately, while I am part of the people in #3 who are not buying, there really aren't thousands and thousands of people who will pass on that alone.
    However, they will be losing sales they would have gotten had they done widescreen. Likewise, they might lose a few sales if they did Widescreen-only from the crowd who only buys Pan & Scan. The fact of the matter is that the disc is completely barebones, and both versions could EASILY have been put on a DVD-9 or DVD-10. Since the movie is being put on just one layer of one side, there's no reason the dual formats could have been put on the disc. Heck, the retail price is $19.99, double the 9/3 Catalogue titles' SRP. At that price, they really should either be giving both formats of the movie or a considerable amount of extras (and just widescreen).
    I'm even more upset about Jungle 2 Jungle, a film which I really like (though I'm in the minority it seems) and which I was highly anticipating the October 8 DVD release. It had been available in Europe and Australia for several years already, barebones but 16:9 widescreen. But it was one of only a handful of titles I wanted which were available only outside R1. So when it was finally announced to be coming, I was very enthusiastic. Heck, between Beauty and the Beast, Houseguest, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Muppet Christmas Carol, and Jungle 2 Jungle, I couldn't believe all the great catalogue titles that Disney was putting out on that one day that I really wanted.
    But the Jungle 2 Jungle R1 is "Fullscreen" only, so I wound up getting the Region 4 disc a couple of months ago when I found out. Houseguest and Beauty and the Beast are fortunately, OAR, so I've got one and am awaiting the other. Muppet Christmas Carol, my absolute favorite of the Muppet films and the ONE Muppet movie needed to complete the collection...Fullscreen only. Extras or no extras, I'll pass. I have fond memories of seeing Honey in theaters when I was little and I remember the movie being a lot of fun. But alas, Disney can take their barebones Pan & Scan crap and shove it where the sun don't shine.
    I hear the Region 2 DVDs are supposed to be 16:9 Widescreen, so if that's the case, I might get them.
    So, of the five titles I was looking forward to coming out next week, and I mean REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO, like as in Top 15 Most-Anticipated Unreleased DVD titles...and I'm not getting three of them. It's a shame that Disney is botching these catalogue releases up, and with seemingly no method to their madness. Mighty Ducks 2 and 3 are anamorphic widescreen, White Fang 2 is 16:9 widescreen, but Jungle 2 Jungle with far more adult appeal than any of the three, a widescreen DVD in other parts of the world, and a widescreen laserdisc gets Panned & Scanned.
    Mind-boggling, and it sucks...and I think I've ranted quite long enough already. :b [​IMG]
    [​IMG] to VHS with chapter stops.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I think it's funny how MGM had a brand new 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer made for UHF, yet Disney is using some old transfer for Honey I shrunk the Kids. (Both released at the same time during the summer hits "marathon")

You'd think they'd do more for such a huge money maker.

5. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Look, I would like to explain something. Disney knows the kind of customers their titles attract. Those customers are parents who blindly buy anything that carries the Disney name, just because of Disney's reputation. These parents don't give a crap about proper presentation or how good a film is; if it's Disney, they buy it, and sit their kids down in front of it. That is why Disney puts the utmost care into well-known classics and blockbusters, which they know that all DVD buffs will want, yet they treat the lesser-known stuff and flops with extreme disrespect. (Heck, they licensed their worst titles out to Anchor Bay just so that they wouldn't be associated with the Disney name!) They know that the majority of people who buy Disney discs don't care about widescreen or extras; they just want something to keep their kids occupied.

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Not to mention Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Tresure Island, both of which I had planned to buy until I found out they were not OAR.

Their loss.

7. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

8. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I always hear that Disney is greedy, but I'm seeing evidence for the opposite. Here is my money sitting in my wallet. To get it, all they have to do is release the Honey movies in widescreen. And yet they are so not greedy that they aren't even doing this simple task.

Silly Eisner.

9. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Our refusal to purchase these discs will have little effect on Disney's sales.
    As stated many times in this forum, we are in the minority.

10. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

For the record: If Disney Home Entertainment was a Batman villain, they'd be Two-Face. Think about it...

11. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

If Disney Home Entertainment was a Batman villain, they'd get their ass kicked.

12. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

That too...didn't think of that. My point was, they can either care about the fans (on all the blockbusters and classics), or not (everything else).

13. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I just checked at dvdempire.com too and came here to post about this, only to see Nicholas beat me to it.
    Oh well, a few more DVDs that I don't have to buy now. I guess they'll only get my money for Beauty and the Beast this week.
    I'm surprised by this one though, because I always thought "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" was a pretty big hit - IMDB says it grossed $130 million. You'd think they'd treat it with a little more respect.
    Not that it's done much good, but I just emailed them with my displeasure on this one.
    Call 1-800-72-DISNEY & email [email protected] and tell them you won't buy P/S-only DVDs!!!

14. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Sigh. Will this crap never end? Perhaps we can expect a 2-disc Special Edition set of the 'Honey' movies in a few years. [​IMG] I bet THOSE will be in OAR.
    I would definitely have purchased the original Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. Not any more! [​IMG]

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

MGM has discovered that doing SEs of cult titles and selling them cheap nets them megabucks [​IMG]
    UHF, Killer Klowns and Buckaroo have all made NICE bank for MGM from what I hear

16. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i am surprised to read this news. i too had these movies on my long list of dvd's to buy. but will not.
    i thought this was one of their bigger movies too. and expected a better treatment on dvd.

oh well.

17. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I would have bought an OAR release of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

I will write a mean letter to Wal-mart asking them why they did not decide to carry the Widescreen version of this.

18. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well, I don't know if it's tons of money, but Disney has lost 4 dvd purchases from me this week. I would have bought OAR versions of
    Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    Honey, I Blew Up the Kid
    Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves
    Muppet's Christmas Carol
    Too bad for me, too bad for them. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    The next time someone complains about p&s dvds, and someone else says "it's OK as long as they keep giving us OAR too" I'm going to scream, because p&s only is becoming more and more common. [​IMG]

19. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

same here. would've bought it widescreen. sorry disney

20. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

Ummmm....that would be because there is no widescreen version of this on DVD. Don't write Wally-World. Go after the Mouse for this one.