Disney "Hunchback" DVD won't play

Discussion in 'DVD' started by GlennH, Apr 25, 2004.

1. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I bought the Disney DVD of The Hunchback of Notre Dame way back when it first was released (March 2002). We've played it a number of times without a problem, but not lately.

Today my daughter wanted to watch it. We put it in my Panasonic RP-91 player and it would not load. Actually, it loaded the startup blue warning screen, but eventually quit trying to load the next screen (Title 13 on the player display), and said "check disc."

I next tried it on my PC DVD-ROM. The drive searched and searched forever but wouldn't play and I had to reboot in order to extract the disc and unfreeze windows.

No visible scratches or smudges.

Anybody else had any problems with this particular disc?

I filled out the information at DisneyDVD.com. Has anybody had any interaction with Disney on this type of problem? How good are they about replacing defective discs?

2. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Haven't tried that one, but my original pressing of "Vertigo" is like that... used to play fine, now it won't even start up.

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Well, I got a reply from Disney already. To resolve my problem they'd be happy to charge me $10 for a replacement DVD (plus my postage to send in the old one). I've had similar problems with a couple Warner DVDs in the past and they replaced them for free. Typical Disney.

4. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

You should call Disney and let them know that the disc is defective, not damaged. I'm sure they'll replace it for free in that case.

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I already replied to them by e-mail to that effect, although I had made that pretty clear in the initial communication.

If they won't replace it for free I think I'll just pass on this and wait for the inevitable SE release in 2005 or whenever.

6. Bruce*A

Bruce*A Extra

I have the Hunchback DVD and it plays fine for me. In fact, I just showed it to a friend a few weeks ago.

Disney can be hard to deal with at times like these, but if you call them and can speak to a human being you might have better luck getting a replacement.

Question: Was the DVD stored in sunlight or some kind of place where it was exposed to exteme temperatures? Just a thouhgt.

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    No, stored on a shelf with lots of other DVDs at about 65-70°F, well protected and in the keepcase.

I'm going to see how they respond to my e-mail, then call if I get a bad response. I also thought about digging up my BestBuy receipt (I probably have it) from 2 years ago and trying to exchange it there, but I'm not sure they'll let me. I did that once with a defective copy of Ghostbusters and they let me.

8. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

I've found that Wal-Mart is pretty good about exchanging DVDs if they have problems. You might want to ask them about it.