What's new

Disney Forces Vudu To Remove Content From User's Library (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
The specifications for CFF are published, and it only requires an internet connection the first time you open it on a player. So even if the UV service were to go offline, the movies would still play, according to their documentation.

However, with all the delays, and the recent removal of the UV players section from the uvvu website, I am skeptical that they will launch it soon. They seem to be focusing on a CFF for streaming now, rather than doanloads.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Josh im curious what a cff for streaming would do for a consumer? While the new website doesnt mention players downloads are very much a part of UV and a mentioned quite a lot on the uvvu website. Its still a option that i think will launch sometime in the future. Many folks who purchase want the datafiles not a stream. The sell thru buyers, many of them already have a hard time without something physical.
The August 2014 Ultraviolet terms of service update does discuss players. Section VIII

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I remain skeptical that the CFF will -ever- launch. And doubly skeptical that if it does launch that more than a miniscule percentage of UV users will care and make it a selling point that moves the needle. Well, since they won't tell you where the needle is pointing then we have to guess anyway on how many titles sell, but you get my point.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
There is also a CFF for streaming, which would mean that providers would not do their own encoding. It would be less labor for the providers, and also ensure that things like aspect ratios, video quality, sound formats, closed captions, and extra's would be the same accross all platforms.

Thanks for the info about the Terms of Service. I will check it out.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Towergrove said:
Can you show me a news item that shows someone who downloaded a purchased film via one of these modern download to own systems like Ultraviolet or Itunes who had it mysteriously removed or purged from their Hard Drive or BD-R after downloading? Now Ive seen this happen if you only rely on streams but a download, I have not.
Sadly, I can. You mentioned that you unplug your computer after you've downloaded so that you can use the digital file as you please. The simple fact that you have to do that says that you don't actually own the files. You have to use a workaround to be able to use them when and how you wish.

http://www.last100.com/2008/04/27/five-companies-that-sold-customers-down-the-drm-filled-river/

Granted, this article is from a while ago, but that doesn't make it any less-relevant. In the current climate, one must circumvent DRM (breaking the law, mind you) in order to have full access to any purchased digital file that isn't sold DRM-free. Companies like Apple and Amazon sell DRM-free music, however I don't know of any major Hollywood studio that releases DRM-free movie downloads.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Brian Kidd said:
Sadly, I can. You mentioned that you unplug your computer after you've downloaded so that you can use the digital file as you please. The simple fact that you have to do that says that you don't actually own the files. You have to use a workaround to be able to use them when and how you wish.

http://www.last100.com/2008/04/27/five-companies-that-sold-customers-down-the-drm-filled-river/

Granted, this article is from a while ago, but that doesn't make it any less-relevant. In the current climate, one must circumvent DRM (breaking the law, mind you) in order to have full access to any purchased digital file that isn't sold DRM-free. Companies like Apple and Amazon sell DRM-free music, however I don't know of any major Hollywood studio that releases DRM-free movie downloads.
We should also remember that DVD and BD have DRM as well. All the systems (download, stream, DVD and BD) have unfortunately been circumvented. Again:
Can you show me a news item that shows someone who downloaded a purchased film via one of these modern download to own systems like Ultraviolet or Itunes who had it mysteriously removed or purged from their Hard Drive or BD-R after downloading? I cant think of any.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
I remain skeptical that the CFF will -ever- launch. And doubly skeptical that if it does launch that more than a miniscule percentage of UV users will care and make it a selling point that moves the needle. Well, since they won't tell you where the needle is pointing then we have to guess anyway on how many titles sell, but you get my point.
But wouldn't it be nice if ALL the services and stores told us how much they are selling. I would very much enjoy a magazine like Home Media to show us weekly sales for Electronic Sell Thru. They don't.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
While they initially said studios were "pleased" with electronic sell-thru sales figures, they've said more recently that disc sales STILL greatly outnumber them, as they should.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Jesse Skeen said:
While they initially said studios were "pleased" with electronic sell-thru sales figures, they've said more recently that disc sales STILL greatly outnumber them, as they should.
Yes disks still bring in multi billions of dollars. That is hardly chump change. This will not be ignored by the studios. As much is the studios may want to go to electronic versions of films money talks.

P

Patrick Donahue

I've felt all along that there really is no physical vs. streaming debate, because it doesn't have to be one or the other. They can coexist. It's like soda - you can get it in a fountain, tall cans, snack cans, 2 liter bottles, 1 liter bottles, 16.9oz bottles, snack bottles, glass bottles, 24 packs, 12 packs, 6 packs, etc, etc. As long as it's Pepsi not water you're buying, they really don't care. The reason this is different is the technology isn't improved. In the past one format would die away to make way for the new one because there was an evolution in quality. Streaming is on the same level as physical - it's more of a step to the side rather than a step forward.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Patrick Donahue said:
I've felt all along that there really is no physical vs. streaming debate, because it doesn't have to be one or the other. They can coexist. It's like soda - you can get it in a fountain, tall cans, snack cans, 2 liter bottles, 1 liter bottles, 16.9oz bottles, snack bottles, glass bottles, 24 packs, 12 packs, 6 packs, etc, etc. As long as it's Pepsi not water you're buying, they really don't care.
However, when they try to convince you it's "cooler" to buy those new 10-oz. "mini" cans than the classic 14-oz., because they're cheaper and want to skimp back on production costs, the more classic cola-drinking public disagrees.

P

Patrick Donahue

Ejanss said:
However, when they try to convince you it's "cooler" to buy those new 10-oz. "mini" cans than the classic 14-oz., because they're cheaper and want to skimp back on production costs, the more classic cola-drinking public disagrees.
True, but at the end of the day the public decides so there's not really any point in listening to what they're saying, which in a way is what we are doing in threads like these...Drink your Coke and what your movies, know what I'm sayin?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
I've felt all along that there really is no physical vs. streaming debate, because it doesn't have to be one or the other. They can coexist. It's like soda - you can get it in a fountain, tall cans, snack cans, 2 liter bottles, 1 liter bottles, 16.9oz bottles, snack bottles, glass bottles, 24 packs, 12 packs, 6 packs, etc, etc. As long as it's Pepsi not water you're buying, they really don't care. The reason this is different is the technology isn't improved. In the past one format would die away to make way for the new one because there was an evolution in quality. Streaming is on the same level as physical - it's more of a step to the side rather than a step forward.
Of course were not just talking about streaming were also talking about download.

P

Patrick Donahue

Towergrove said:
Of course were not just talking about streaming were also talking about download.
Oh yes, I had that in mind when I used the admittedly general term streaming. We need a new name for this new thing, becuase "digital" doesn't make sense either :)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
Oh yes, I had that in mind when I used the admittedly general term streaming. We need a new name for this new thing, becuase "digital" doesn't make sense either :)
So so true especially since physical media now days uses digital.

P

Patrick Donahue

Towergrove said:
Didn't we used to be able to download from the UVVU site? I don't see that option now...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I still haven't gotten an answer out of VUDU or any acknowledgement of my problem I called them about.

P

Patrick Donahue

MatthewA said:
I still haven't gotten an answer out of VUDU or any acknowledgement of my problem I called them about.
Disney are the ones you should contact - Vudu has no control over the copies they are given. There's a thread on the Vudu forums where a rep from Vudu is expressing frustration that they can't get a better print of Ben Hur from Warners, for example...

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
Didn't we used to be able to download from the UVVU site? I don't see that option now...
I don't recall ever seeing that option on UVVU site. I always saw that on the individual sites. Can we stream from the UVVU site? I thought that was also per individual sites like VUDU or target ticket?From the UVVU website:"Download or instantly stream movies and TV shows in your UltraViolet Library using your favorite UltraViolet online video services. Watch on your favorite devices: tablets, smart phones, computers, game consoles, connected TVs and Blu-ray players, and more. You can even watch on multiple video services at the same time".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks