What's new

Disney eat humble pie! Absent Minded Professor in widescreen-black & white coming 9/2 (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
It looks like they took notice of the complaints, I'm glad I held off buying the colorized 4:3 version.

Over the last six and a bit years I've been buying DVDs, I've been quite surprised how studios have been influenced by enthusiasts and not given in to the mainstream who prefer their screens to be filled.

For the first 2 years or so, I think most DVD buyers were the old Laserdisc crowd and I feared once that wasn't the case, studios would have a change of heart.

I hope we've passed that hurdle now (except for a few exceptions).

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
9/2 !!! Not again, too many already must buys that day, that 1 will have to wait, almost every movie ever made comes out that day !

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, too much DVDs to buy in the coming months! :D

The power companies are going to be giving out a lot of over-time in September! :D

Gordy

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Is it just me, or is there possibly a more gracious way to characterize Disney putting out "Absent Minded Professor" in the form that we want them to do so than "Disney eat Humble Pie!". Something like "Disney gives HT enthusiasts what they want" or, if I may be so bold, "Thanks, Disney".

Regards,

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I know you can't hear it, but I'm singing "I Can't Wait" by Stevie Nicks right now. Woo-hoo! :D :D :D :D :D

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Where did you get your information from? I do believe you, because Amazon has a black and white widescreen version available for pre-order, but they have January 14th as the release date. I could not find this info at any of the DVD news sites. This is great news by the way. Maybe we will get more of their classic collection, such as The Moon Spinners, and The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit in OAR as well.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I hope this scoop isn't from Amazon's listing. First of all, it lists the 1988 TV movie, and when does Amazon ever get release dates and technical specs on Disney titles befor everyone else?

I'd love to get this, but it just seems a little convenient and odd. All the other 9/2 Disney titles have turned up for pre-order everywhere else.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I think Amazon has got some of the info wrong. If it was really the TV remake that is coming out, then it wouldn't be black and white and it wouldn't be widescreen. Also, the editorial review describes the original movie, not the TV remake. Here's hoping that they just got the date of the original film wrong.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Disney announced 3 new titles on June 25th as follows

DISD30910012786936220438ROWING WITH THE WIND (DVD)Drama24-Jun-0305-Aug-0324.99
S:HUGH GRANT
DISD31850012786936225259ABSENT MINDED..(B&W)(LBX)(DVD)Family18-Jul-0302-Sep-0324.99
ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR
DISD32799022786936230031OSBOURNES SEASON 2 (DVD)(2DSK)Gift Sets15-Aug-0330-Sep-0335.99

All prices are Canadian list price with preorder date followed by release date

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news.

Now Disney can eat some humble pie with The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island. :frowning:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
johnny can you tell us were you got that info from?

and i will fit this in if it is out sep 9th just to show disney, right away that poeple will buy the right version as soon as it is available. to quickly encourage more titles to be put out the right way.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, I will show them by buying it. I'd also buy Blackbeard's Ghost if they issued that in OAR, but they won't so I'll spend my DVD dollar elsewhere.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I'll definitely buy it. Now if they could give widescreen treatment to the Muppet films and "Blackbeard's Ghost," I might be TOO happy.
And I'm not very fond of the "eat humble pie" thing. I'm all for saying "Hats off to you, Disney!"

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Glad I waited, too.

Will be glad to snatch this up 9/2.

:)

mw

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks