What's new

Disney DVD's (1 Viewer)

RomanSohor

Second Unit

To be honest with you, I don't know. I didn't say it was 100% fact - but then again, Disney has been arbitrary with their Aspect Ratios quite frequently.

They may have both been made at 1.33:1, and one was matted and the other was not for video.
The article on the subject I read was not saying it was 100% accurate, however when you take in to account the way things work with current features made on CAPS, all of them have been released on DVD in 1.66:1 (at least the later, anamorphic ones, not the first wave of Disney releases) except for Beauty and the Beast - and that was because the directors chose to do it differently.

My feeling on Animation is that it should be shown in the AR it was animated for, not its Theatrical AR - the Animators drew it... I want to see it. I know many disagree vehemently with me. That is one reason why I would love to see an open matted version of Lady and the Tramp on the upcoming DVD, because I heard that much of that film was animated in 1.33:1 but Walt had it reformatted/cropped to Cinemascope.

Not to ramble, but now that I think about it - I remember reading or hearing on the DVD that for Sleeping Beauty they had to replace a lot of their equipment to make that film in Cinemascope, so the article I read about Fox & The Hound may be eronneous. Again, I have no real way of knowing. I've never seen a widescreen print of the movie. If it was available on Laser Disc in Widescreen, perhaps someone can compare the two and let us know if they opend up the matting on the film, or it is cropped/p&s or whatever.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

"Sleeping Beauty" was Super Techniscope, which was then released 70MM in 2.2 to 1. "The Black Cauldron" was produced the same way. (They didn't replace anything, just added what was needed).

The only CinemaScope film was "Lady and The Tramp" 2.55 to 1.

"Atlantis: The Lost Empire" and "Brother Bear" were CAPS, so no 'scope process was used, though it was animated at 2.35 to 1.

Starting with "The Rescuers" Disney films were hard matted at 1.66 and shown 1.85. That is why "The Fox and The Hound" has the "modified to fit your screen" warning (I have a 16x9 screen, so that is now untrue!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks