What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The amount of Disney content that I’d be interested in viewing at least once is almost certainly more than I could ever afford or have space to collect if it were all issued on physical media.

If the Disney service truly digs deep and includes all of their classic animated films, all of the stuff from the Disney Treasures DVD lines, all the vintage Mickey Mouse Club serials and classic Disneyland anthology shows that aren’t on disc and haven’t been on Disney Channel in forever, all the live action movies and especially the ones from Walt’s lifetime...I mean, I’d be a lifetime subscriber. Easiest decision ever.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I still don't see how they can make more money from their movies by doing this, rather than selling them on disc. Since they own the movies it likely won't cost them too much, but even selling movies via digital would make more sense in terms of income. If the monthly price of this is too high, then people will just get it for a month or so, watch everything they want to see, and then drop it.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I still don't see how they can make more money from their movies by doing this, rather than selling them on disc. Since they own the movies it likely won't cost them too much, but even selling movies via digital would make more sense in terms of income. If the monthly price of this is too high, then people will just get it for a month or so, watch everything they want to see, and then drop it.

Because 90% of the movies they SELL are new releases, which won't be on the service until a year after release. Parents would be fine waiting that year, but the screaming kid in the cart says otherwise.

In otherwords, Disney will be making money both ways.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Those ads where they would warn that titles would go back in the vault. Was there ever a physical Vault? Or was that just Disney speak for a title going OOP ?

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Does that mean we won't get 20,000 Leagues or the new live action Star Wars series on blu-ray, it'll just be through streaming? I hope not.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I expect Disney to be the first studio to eliminate physical releases altogether and require people to have their streaming service to access their films. It would be just the sort of thing that Bob Igor would think up.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" has been questionable for a long time due to Disney withdrawing physical media support for almost all catalog titles. Disney has been winding down their output in that area for a long time prior to the announcement of a streaming service, so I don't think those two things are connected. I think the more likely answer is that Disney is no longer interested in marketing anything that isn't a big, giant seller, and that's why that hasn't been released on disc. An HD master currently exists and is available for rental and/or purchase on services like iTunes and Vudu. It's certainly possible that they could release it through their Disney Movie Club exclusives line at some point.

As for any potential new content made exclusively for the streaming platform, I would expect that to remain exclusive to that platform. That's the leverage they have to get people to join. If those exclusive shows start appearing on physical media or for purchase from vendors like iTunes, that significantly reduces the value of that content as an incentive for people to sign up. But if the content remains on the service, and only on the service, then it's value will remain higher than if it came out on a disc.

But I think ultimately, it's not a simple case of "Disney is trying to kill physical media to screw over its audience and force them into joining a service." I think Disney has been noticing the winds shifting for some time, and that the average consumer (not enthusiasts like you or I) are no longer interested in having to make purchases of physical items to view media content.

Or to put it another way: with the new Avengers movie coming out next month, there will be people who will want to rewatch the previous films, but who don't already own them. What's the more attractive proposition for an average consumer who merely wishes to view the films once? To have to buy twenty different discs, either by traveling to multiple stores or mail ordering, at about $20 a disc, and then having those discs lying around unused afterwards? Or subscribing to Disney+ for one month, watching all of the films for a low flat fee, and then canceling afterwards if there's nothing else they want? Figure Disney+ would run $10-15 a month. Even subscribing to Disney+ for a year would almost certainly be cheaper than purchasing twenty movies individually on disc. For a lot of people, that's where the value is, paying that one low fee, having access to lots of content, and not having to clutter up their living rooms in the process.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Those ads where they would warn that titles would go back in the vault. Was there ever a physical Vault? Or was that just Disney speak for a title going OOP ?
Pretty sure there is a vault. It is under the sea. Guarded by a Genie. Managed by a talking clock. All who dare enter unauthorized are frozen.

Or so I've heard.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think they'll happily do both streaming and physical media to make more money.

Disney had no problem being the first to drop 3D releases when sales in North America didn't meet their satisfaction. I can see them having zero problem dropping physical releases altogether if sales continue to fall.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Disney had no problem being the first to drop 3D releases when sales in North America didn't meet their satisfaction. I can see them having zero problem dropping physical releases altogether if sales continue to fall.
Well, yeah but that'll be because of declining sales and not an effort to force people to get their streaming service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks