Disney confirms "Snow Dogs" will be release full frame only

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_O, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Gary_O

Gary_O Stunt Coordinator

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-....html#04102002
    Anyone know what address we can write to and petetion over this one?
    I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie, and now I'm very disappointed that I'm not going to be able to own it when it is released on 5/21

2. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to complain via the "contact us" email on their disney dvd site, but it's not sending it through

3. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

I'm realy dissapointed in Buena Vista for releasing Snow Dogs in Fullscreen only [​IMG]
    I realy hope that they come back to their senses and release a widescreen version of Snow Dogs after all.
    Greetz

4. Don

Don Second Unit

if this store does sell this movie it will be kind of expensive at $1,402.02 their item number for this is 2650803 gee i never knew dvd's were so expensive Don, the sore is www.compusa.com

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

This would suck. I'm in the process of doing a full-blast update of the complete Non-OAR film list. I hate to think that Disney is making new entries. I have no interest in this film, but I want it to be released in OAR.

Poor Cuba. Oscar to pan-and-scan in a few short years.

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Major backsliding from Disney [​IMG].
    Stupid too. It's amazing how quickly a corporation can forget. They started out with p&s crap. Their video sales were pathetic. They switched to OAR. All of the sudden that division was making tons of money. Now they think they can go back to p&s and not lose revenue? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

7. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

George- I agree. My only hope is that Disney (and all studios releasing P&S only DVDs) will soon discover that eliminating widescreen also eliminates a lot of sales. It may very well be true that "families prefer fullscreen", but is that a reason to ignore those of us that insist on widescreen? I hope that all studios soon realize that sales of all P&S only titles are much lower than sales on comparable widescreen (or widescreen/P&S) releases. If that happens, then it would only be a matter of time before P&S only releases would disappear. Hopefully forever.

Steve K.

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I think part of it is a response to the rental stores, like Blockbuster, who are seeing rentals decrease as DVD penetration increases. Someone on one of the threads said they're losing revenue because DVD is a buyer's market more than VHS.

Blockbuster is probably whining that rentals are down because people don't want to rent the DVD's with the black bars. Unfortuately, Blockbuster is big enough to make a lot of noise.

And if their revenues continue to slide, I'd not be surprised to see them try and strong-arm the studios into establishing a "rental window" for DVD's much like they did for VHS. Unless, of course, direct sales of DVD's more than compensate for any loss of revenue from Blockbuster (which it very well may).

Sigh. I didn't want "Snow Dogs" either but I'm still discouraged.

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

What is most absurd. Is that along with the Snow Dogs press release is the Peter Pan 2 press release. The Peter Pan release is anamorphic Widescreen and has 5.1 & DTS sound. Wouldn't Peter Pan be more of a children's movie than Snow Dogs??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. derek

derek Second Unit

I can't think of a reason why Di$ney couldn't include both widescreen and P&S versions on a dual-layered disc. *sighs* Satifies all customers.

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

12. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Don't bother whining on this thread unless you're going to take action.
    Disney has a toll free line for customer feedback:
    1-800-72-DISNEY
    Call it. Tell them you want *all* DVDs, especially family and B-catalog titles in OAR and 16x9.
    then post here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=62816

14. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

To those that care,
    I just took the plunge and had a nice chat with Regina at the Disney Consumer number listed above and told her that while Disney has some of the most sought after product on the market, I will not be spending a dime of my $100.00 per month on Disney Product unless they are all released in their orginal aspect ratio. I also said that "I WANT my Black Bars!" (she REALLY understood that remark). She asked a few questions about where I had heard about this and I told her about the HTF (and mentioned that there are some 10,000 members on this forum alone) and The DVD File.
    Do yourselves a favor, don't just complain...pick up the phone and call to let your (and our) feelings be known!
    *UPDATE*
    Just to update everyone, when I got home from work today, the nice lady I spoke with on the phone, Regina, had called and suggested we all e-mail Disney at [email protected] (I think, the message was nearly inaudible. Please feel free to correct the link if you know it, but post it too so we'll all know it!) as well so do what you think is best. I would say a phone call AND an e-mail. Like I said, I told her that I'd have to find somewhere else to spend my money if her studio keeps releasing the "Modified to fit your screen" releases!
    Attention Disney...WE WANT OUR BLACK BARS!

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Luke,
    thanks Buddy for spear-heading the cause! [​IMG]
    Paul, would you mind copying and posting your msg to my "call disney" thread as well?
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...&threadid=62816
    It would be cool to have everyone's comments who's called all in one place to view!

16. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    They want a fight, I say gibe it to 'em.

I lodged a formal complaint over the phone.

I sent 2 e-mails to them.

Now what is needed is for every possible member to bombard them with complaints. Also, we need a petition started. Those of us with personal HT websites can put a link to that petition on our sites. Let's crush this problem.

17. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

-double post

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I guess there is no reason at all to buy the DVD.
    The only reason was, in fact, that the DVD would have a widescreen transfer. [​IMG]
    Disney once again saves our money! How nice of them!

19. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

"Not necessarily. I think they've realized that their animated product has a significant adult audience. I just wish they'd realize that about most other "kid" titles as well."

Yeah, it's kinda of like Warner Bros. with "Cats & Dogs" which is a similiar type of movie to "Snow Dogs". Animation is pretty much an ALL criteria movie. Sure, kids like the animation, but I am pretty sure Disney makes just as much or more from Adults without children. Disney DVDs in WS are soooo much better than the old VHS days.

20. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor