What's new

Disney Complete Animation 57 disc set 5 still DVD only (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe there was an earlier thread about an earlier 55 disc set which I couldn't find. This one adds Frozen 2 and Ralph Breaks The Internet.

The boxset contains an 80-page book ‘A Celebration Of The Walt Disney Animated Studios’, alongside the layflat book containing the 57 discs. Collectable poster art for each Disney classic is featured alongside the discs

The 5 films below are not available on Blu-ray disc, so DVD’s are included instead (as per the 55 movie collection released in 2018).

• Saludos Amigos (1943)
  • The Three Caballeros (1945)
  • Make Mine Music (1946)
  • Melody Time (1948)
  • The Black Cauldron (1985)
*NEW*. For the 5 films below, the Blu-ray set will include the Walt Disney ‘Signature’ edition discs (previously released in the US, but not the UK) which feature new bonus materials. 101 Dalmatians, Bambi, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. The Lion King disc is also a ‘signature edition’ disc, (as released previously in the 2018 box set & 4K sku).

1600366228821.png

Last edited:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
The Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos are available on blu-ray as a Disney Movie Club exclusive. Unfortunate for those who want this set that they aren’t included.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
[email protected] post: 4909995 said:
uncensored versions?
Not likely. The current disc release of Make Mine Music still removes "The Martins and The Coys" segment, and I'm pretty sure Pecos Bill's cigarettes are still digitally erased in Melody Time. Nothing's been deleted from the others, as far as I know.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Not likely. The current disc release of Make Mine Music still removes "The Martins and The Coys" segment, and I'm pretty sure Pecos Bill's cigarettes are still digitally erased in Melody Time. Nothing's been deleted from the others, as far as I know.
Aside from the usual zoom in on the Pastoral Symphony of course.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Aside from the usual zoom in on the Pastoral Symphony of course.

The Blu-ray actually uses extensive "repainting" instead of zooms for the most part. I think a few shots still had some slight reframing, but nothing like the 2000 DVD (especially that one shot). The 2000 version did use some repainting in the last few shots, but otherwise was how previous versions were.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack

While it’s hardly indicative of how they’ll be presented if and when the films are released on Blu-ray, the D+ print of Melody Time restores the cigarettes in the “Pecos Bill” sequence, so we might at least get Melody Time uncut.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I saw a set like this in Mexico a couple years ago, but it didn't look compelling enough to pick up.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Goddammit, just fucking release MAKE MINE MUSIC and MELODY TIME on Blu-ray already.

Those got uncut laserdiscs in Japan in the 1980s (around the time Song of the South got two, one with analog sound and a later remaster with digital sound) and uncut DVDs in the UK. It's the US division and the US division alone that has a problem with the content.

Disney in the US also seems to outright despise The Black Cauldron. Even the rest of the "What Would Walt Do" years they can make peace with but not that. It took 13 years to get a video release and, despite being shot in Technirama, another decade to get an anamorphically enhanced DVD. During all that time, it didn't even get the obligatory theatrical reissues The Great Mouse Detective, Oliver & Company, and The Little Mermaid got (in Mermaid's case, that was to siphon moviegoers away from Anastasia). If their treatment of Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Muppet Christmas Carol, Pocahontas, et al is any indication, if and when it does finally get a Blu-ray, you can probably expect the same mangled cut Katzenberg made out of it.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I've literally never heard of "The Wild." Have I merged into an alternate universe or somethin' ?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That was a one-off Canadian CGI feature made by the same company who created the big green dancing boogers from the Robin Williams version of Flubber.* I don't think it's actually canon.

*Between that and the unbeatable 1961 Fred MacMurray original, there was a Harry Anderson version from The Magical World of Disney around 1988/1989. Is the role of Ned Brainard cursed?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That was a one-off Canadian CGI feature made by the same company who created the big green dancing boogers from the Robin Williams version of Flubber.* I don't think it's actually canon.

Depends on if you believe there is such a Canon that isn't just a marketing gimmick that had as many different variations as major Regional Distribution networks.

The AU/UK canon is different than the US, Various other EU countries have their own Promotional labels under the Animation Classic or Disney Canon banner. THE WILD is actually part of the UK Canon, but not US -- while Dinosaur and Winnie the Pooh are not part of the UK canon despite having direct Disney Animation Studio roots. In some countries the compilations are canon, others not, some of teh Hybrids like Mary Poppins, Song of the South, and Pete's Dragon may be, but others not so much who falsely suggest that only Fully Animated movies are canon, but in the same breath including Fantasia, Saludos Amigos, and Three Cabelleros. Pixar/DisneyToons aren't, but then THE WILD suddenly are inserted.

The Wild is actually a pretty decent movie though while you're watching you suddenly feel like you've slid into a Madagascar sequel which was being made at the same time. It's said THE WILD was in production well before Dreamworks version. There has been some reports that an ex-Disney employee took the basic storyboards of the project with him when he jumped ship, but I've never found any slamdunk evidence presented -- just lots of pretty interesting coincidences. Seems rather un-Disney like to not sue Dreamworks into oblivion if it was something that blatant

The Classics and even moreso Canon are the quintessential Shawshank answer "Do you thing you have been Rehabilitated"

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Black Cauldron represents the defacto end of the Disney "'Dark Age" and by end I mean the bottom of the barrel. It was a PR embarassment that lost millions of dollars at the box office, and Katzenberg used said failure as an excuse to gut the animation studio and dump the survivors in the equivalent of a broom closet in Glendale. The fact that the film has been the source of such scorn and belittlement from the studio (outside of the choice to give it a 4k transfer, which I think stems more from the fact that its a large format production) is the result of this PTSD.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The fact that the film has been the source of such scorn and belittlement from the studio (outside of the choice to give it a 4k transfer, which I think stems more from the fact that its a large format production) is the result of this PTSD.

If that was the reason they did a 4K transfer of The Black Cauldron, it doesn’t explain why they didn’t also do a 4K master of Sleeping Beauty, a much more popular film that was also shot in large format.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've literally never heard of "The Wild." Have I merged into an alternate universe or somethin' ?

It was a flick with too many similarities to "Madagascar" that essentially bombed!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its probably cheaper to scan one eastman color large format neg than 3 sequential exposure negatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks