Disney cartoons

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bill lopez, Feb 4, 2002.

1. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Now I don't have any kids,so I would like to know what parents think of their kids watching Disney cartoons.

Because starting with THE LITTLE MERMAID and ever since then they always show a young girl disobeying her parent after the parent gives them a lecture and of course things go bad and then everything gets good at the end. And the LION KING had a boy cub but the same thing happens.

Now wouldn't kids watching all this feel to disobey their parents because they believe that when they do everything will fix itself and so it's o.k to do what they want?

2. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    [sarcasm]Yeah, just the same way kids watching Disney movies are constantly looking for talking fish, candlesticks, parrots, lions, trees, statues, demons, gorillas, llamas, toys, bugs, etc.

Or the same way kids watching Wyle E Coyote falling off a cliff and surviving are killing themselves jumping off of cliffs.

Or the way kids think cavemen drove stone cars, and used dinosaurs spraying water from their noses as their showers. [/sarcasm]

Kids understand what is fantasy and what is not. They don't live their lives based upon what movie they watch, or what happens in a cartoon. They live it based upon their upbringing, their parents value system, and their peers.

3. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

I'm a pediatrician and I find most Disney features to be quite good entertainment for children. They don't condescend to kids and show characters doing wrong on occasion but paying the consequences. They also approach serious themes like loss, fear, and growing up in a genuine way. They also make fine talking points for parents and children. I'm a huge fan of animation and Disney films as well and own an extensive library of their work.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I certainly don't worry about this with my son. I don't think most adults see these things in these films, much less kids. I was in my late twenties before someone pointed out that the crows in Dumbo were supposed to be black caricatures. It had never occured to me that they were anything but crows.