What's new

Disney campaigning for Nemo Best Picture Nod (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Disney took out a full page ad on the cover of Variety in the hopes of Oscar consideration for Finding Nemo.....not just for Best Animated film but for the biggie, Best Picture.

Galen_V

Second Unit
Is it just me or does this seem to be a huge waste of money on Disney's part? I can understand them going after the Best Animated Film nomination (I assume they are still bitter about losing out to Shrek), but Best Picture? They have nothing to gain from the publicity that comes with it, as the film has obviously made boatloads of cash at the box office and will probably break all of the video/DVD sales records next week. I am guessing that this is probably a move on their part of trying to win some brownie points with Pixar, as being nominated in both categories guarantees them a win in Best Animated Film. However, I think that is is safe to say that Nemo does not stand a CHANCE of winning Best Picture, a claim I would even make if ROTK was not in the running. I think they can put their profits to better uses, especially since the company as a whole is not doing so well.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I think that is is safe to say that Nemo does not stand a CHANCE of winning Best Picture, a claim I would even make if ROTK was not in the running
may i remind you that you havent seen this movie? you may know what happens because you have read the story, but you havent seen the movie. unless you are talking about the two towers, if so, sorry. but i get a kick out of people including the lotr trilogy in their lists of best trilogies ever, without even seeing the last film. just shows their fanboy status right away, without saying anything else. if you like the lotr stuff (which i dont) then you will prob like rotk too, but can you at least wait until you actually SEE the film before you judge?

CJ

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
if you like the lotr stuff (which i dont)
Nice to see someone impartial make a statement like yours.

OTOH if one sees someone let go of a hammer one doesn't need to watch to know that the hammer will hit the ground.

PJ is that someone, ROTK is that hammer.

Galen_V

Second Unit
It's not a question about whether ROTK has been released yet, but from what I've read, it seems as if Hollywood wants ROTK to win. I am basing my statement on that fact, and I seriously doubt that unless the next Citizen Kane is released, the Academy will not dare leave PJ at the alter come Oscar night.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't this require a rule change as well?
Not to my knowledge. While there is a seperate category, there is no exclusionary rule preventing it; moreover, there may not be a Best Animated Picture this year, as there are not enough qualifying releases so far, to my knowledge..

Disney is right to play up this for a Best Picture nod; it deserves consideration. I'm not saying it deserves to win - although I thought "Toy Story 2" should have received a nomination and felt as though it was clearly shafted just because it was animated.

To nominate "Finding Nemo" as a Best Picture would be OK in my book.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I don't see why this is a problem. They might as well go for it. Beauty and the Beast got a Best Picture nod, why not Finding Nemo?

Getting too caught up in Hollywood politics doesn't make watching the movies any more fun, for me. If I want cutthroat competition, I'll turn on football or basketball. Moviewatching doesn't need to be a sport.

Yeah, the academy awards are fun to handicap and root for LIKE a sport--but if Finding Nemo got a best picture nod, I'm not going to be ANGERED.

hey, the year's almost up--why don't you guys pick 5 flicks that you think will end up being nominated, and then look at that list and explain why Finding Nemo wouldn't fit there.

It's a good a nominee as any.

Galen_V

Second Unit
hey, the year's almost up--why don't you guys pick 5 flicks that you think will end up being nominated, and then look at that list and explain why Finding Nemo wouldn't fit there.
Just going on buzz, I think these four could be locks:
-Cold Mountain
-Master and Commander
-Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
-Lost in Translation

Now, with The Alamo moving to April, that could open up the slot for Nemo. However, I could see Mystic River, The Last Samurai (maybe) or even a foreign film that we have not heard of until now to also grab that spot.

Also, to me, it's not the matter if it deserves the nomination, it's the question if Disney should be spending this cash in the first place. I should have made that more clear (major props to Steve Jobs and crew if they do get it).

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
IMO, there is absolutely NO way Finding Nemo will come CLOSE to getting a bp nom. That is OUT of the way question, what with all these other films coming out. Don't tell me ROTK won't be nominated. Common sense tells us the movie will be awesome. There is nothing fanboyish in assuming that the third film in a trilogy will be roughly the same quality as the two films preceding it. (let's forget about the Godfather for a minute). And don't forget about the Miramax Machine, which is firing on all cylinder this year, since there's no "auteur" offerings this year. (Spielberg, Scorsese, Lynch, Stone, Soderbergh, Mann, Polanski, etc etc "name" directors). Then there's the Last Samurai, Master and Commander, and tons of other stuff we probably dont know about yet. Finding Nemo getting a nod is like Fight Club winning best picture. Not unreasonable, but out of the fucking question, as far as the real world is concerned. And unfortunately so. Findeing Nemo was fantastic. I loved it. I think this is just Disney trying to get back in bed with Pixar. I can't see any other motive.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
The cynic in me agrees that this is Disney sucking up to Pixar, trying to placate The Steve. Given this year's crowd, there's no room for FN, it's a lock for best animated, but BP not a chance. Although I do think the Academy owes Pixar one for snubbing TS2, and then Monsters, Inc (has there even been more of an appeasement, give best animated feature to PDI, best animated short to Pixar, everyone gets the gold!)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I wouldn't say that Disney's publicity is "wasted" -- shoot for the moon, and even if you fall short no doubt it's in enough minds to ensure it's a lock for Best Animated Feature. Since they have to spend the cash anyway promoting it for Best Animated Feature, what substantial extra cost is there in concurrently campaigning for Best Picture? Might as well give it a shot, if they get a nomination, excellent, if not, nothing really lost anyway.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Disney is just trying to get as much exposure as they can hoping that something will actually payoff. In addition to Nemo, Holes, Under The Tuscan Sun, Pirates of the Caribbean and Open Range are among some of the others being touted for some type of an Oscar consideration.

~Edwin

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Not to sound rude or anything, but why is this out of the ordinary? The "for your consideration" ads in Variety and other trades almost always aim for the moon. Movies infinitely worse and with infinitely poorer Oscar chances than Finding Nemo have had ads taken out encouraging voters to choose them for Best Picture and any other award the film qualifies for.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
My picks
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
In America
Cold Mountain
The Missing
Big Fish

the first four in my list are likely to be the four front runners for best picture nominations. Last Samurai and Master in Commander will be the most likely competitors for replacing one of my final two, spot but that overloads the entire nominations with historical (or in the case of LOTR films that feel like history and have a period 'look'). But that fifth spot will also be in heavy competition with lost in Translation, Mystic River, 21 Grams, American Splendor, Big Fish, Pirates of the Carribbean, and of course Finding Nemo. All of which will get quite a lot of oscar 'marketing' I'm sure.
Right now I think the two most likely locks will be

Cold Mountain
ROTK

other than that things are still somewhat up for grabs, it will be quite the interesting oscar season

Chris

Senior HTF Member
One thing Disney does have going for it is that in the last few years, a major box-office "hit" has managed to pick up a nod in the crowd; Nemo's cross market appeal will not be left unheard in the awards. Does that mean it would win? No. But I always root for any "G" film to get a nod; and I'm sure a part of Jack Vallenti does too :)

George See

Second Unit
I don't think that it's fanboyish at this point to assume ROTK will get an oscar nomination, every body and their brother are already claiming it's fantastic and it will win best picture. Even if the film is the worst of the three I think it gets at least a nomination.

Finding Nemo does stand out in my mind as one of the most enjoyable films i've seen this year. But the fact that it's animated I think will keep it out of the running. I don't think disney is wasting money here, anything can happen...Last year an Anime won best animated picture...that blew my mind I never saw it coming. Even though I knew that it was an Amazing film I just didn't see it winning.

I hope that the Last Samurai is good enough to get a nomination simply because I'm looking forward to it and I'm hoping it's a great film.

Master and Commander, i'm just not excited about it. I just have this feeling that it won't have any real emotional impact. Or maybee it's just that I don't think Gladiator was the best picture when it won and I don't think A Beautifull mind was the best picture when it won. Maybee i'm pre biased against it i'd hate to see it happen again.

I don't have much to say about Cold Mountain haven't seen it and I don't know much about it yet, the trailers don't really stir me for or against it so i'll wait till i see it to make any kind of judgement.

I hope Kill Bill gets some sort of nomination for Sound and/or soundtrack. I thought the sound and the music were just perfect in that movie and set a great tone.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Someone else brought up a very good point earlier in this thread:

There hasn't been enough animated films to be released this year for there to BE a "Best Animated Feature" competition, has there? Sinbad--Finding Nemo--what, Brother Bear? that's the only three theatrically released animated features I can think of that came out this year.

Are there any others? I can't imagine nominating an animated film for the award simply because it was released.

How many other animated feature-lengths were released this year? If there weren't enough, there won't BE a "Best Animated" category this year, will there? And if there isn't, why NOT go for Best Picture? Why wouldn't it make it? I bet the same conversation we're having right now went on back when Beauty and the Beast came out. On the flip, I'm sure the same conversation happened when Lion King came out, and Lion King did NOT get a nomination.

If Disney wants to give it a shot, hey, why not? who cares if they're trying to cuddle up to Pixar.

And it's weird that all the films being brought up are films that have not seen release or even really been previewed yet. It just appears from the trailers that these movies look like they MIGHT have the appeal to get in. studios can cut ANY trailer to look like it's a "Deep, serious, touching" oscar contender if they feel like it--it doesn't mean the movie within is really worth it. I keep seeing Last Samurai getting brought up--is there really that much buzz on this thing? Because it feels to most people I've talked to that it's so much "Dances With Wolves" Tom Cruise openly begging for Oscar yawnage. And at the time of it's opening, Seabiscuit was apparently a LOCK for some kind of serious Oscar gold, right? Critics all over the place clamoring for it. But hardly anyone in either thread is even mentioning it at all.

And on the other hand, we have a movie that HAS seen release, we HAVE seen response to it and it's been overwhelmingly positive both critically and commercially, and it's sitting near the top of almost every critics top 10 list.

if there's no "Best Animated Feature" category this year due to lack of competition, Disney pushing for "Best Picture" after all the critical and commercial success heaped upon the film--seems like a sane decision, to me.

the sucking up to Pixar helps, too ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks