What's new

Disney buys LucasFilms for $4.05 billion (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
The worst thing that could happen to this new trilogy is it be a mirror to the prequels.
No, the worst thing that could happen to the new trilogy is "The Wacky Adventures of Jar-Jar" - two hours of gungan slapstick!
(Actually I would watch the hell out of that just for the fanboy meltdown that would ensue :) )

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Ok Tony,
Congrats. You made me actually laugh out loud at work with this line:
"The Wacky Adventures of Jar-Jar" - two hours of gungan slapstick!
Well done....well done. :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ok are we really going to do this, Steve? Fine, it's ON!!!
Episode VII : Re-Rise of the Empire
Written and Directed by Michael Bay
Soundtrack by Aerosmith
Starring:
Shia LeBouef as Luke Skywalker's son
Channing Tatum as Han Solo's son
Lindsey Lohan as the girl who will kiss both of them but will later on be discovered to be a sister...tune in to find out which one she's related to!
with:
Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca
and featuring:
Anthony Daniels as C-3PO
Kenny Baker as R2D2
Yes the two droids will be in EVERY Star Wars film. Period.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm very anxious to see how everyone reacts when Luke, Leia, Han, et al are recast for this new trilogy. Because I'll bet dollars to donuts that's what going to happen.
And beyond that, you can just about bet the farm that at some point Disney will remake the OT, too.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm probably the only one on the face of the earth who liked Jar jar. He's really just a big goofy ...uhm...damn. I was going to say Big Goofy Hippie but... my brain just had a strange moment there. Big Goofy...erm... this could be veeery intreesting..... :D Goofy and Jar jar adventures! I'd probably be the only one in the theatre for that!!!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe this! At first, I thought this is terrible news.
But after reading the thread, perhaps it's just unbelievably terrible news. But, Lucas knows what he was doing and he's got people in the right positions at Lucasfilm to resume the company with Disney in a good way. Sort of like how Steve Jobs put the right people in positions to properly run Apple.
As for re-issues of the OOT on high def? I'm not counting on it right away. I'm sure one reason Lucas never released the OOT was he was embarrassed by things like the stormtrooper hitting his head on the blast door and effects that were lesser then what he could do at the time. I can see he wanted it to be better then it was.
It would be nice to see Han shoot first.
So will there now not be anymore arms and heads chopped off in light saber fights under the Disney banner?
I'm not fully on board with what JJ Abrams and his cronies did to Star Trek. It appeals to a new audience, and perhaps this is what happens to Star Wars to appeal to a new audience. Not your father's Star Wars anymore.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Nelson, the stormtrooper still hits his head in all versions of the SE. (To date, anyway.) And Jango Fett bumps his head on the door of his ship in Episode II as wink wink nudge nudge to that.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You know, I wonder sometimes how we come to the assumption that Disney won't do a film with any level of violence to it, or that everything has a Disney Princess.

Last I checked, for years Disney had a stake in Miramax that gave us films like Pulp Fiction. Touchstone gave us Con Air, The Ref, etc.
Ialso find it a bit amusing to think that Star Wars is such a dark medium that it needs a hand to make it such, and I wonder if anyone watched the same prequels and ROTJ that I did. None of the Star Wars films were anything but PG or PG13.

Do I think Disney can get the right talent to do Star Wars justice? I believe in their ability to do it far more then I trust Lucas to do it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Bill, I've seen the Blu-Ray of Star Wars once since I got the set and I must have missed the storm trooper bumping his head!! Thanks, I'll have to look for it. My audio system was dying that night so I was distracted. I'll look for Jango Fett too.
Matt, it's entirely possible the new management can do a really good Star Wars film. And with violence on par with the originals. Time will tell.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Nelson Au said:
Bill, I've seen the Blu-Ray of Star Wars once since I got the set and I must have missed the storm trooper bumping his head!! Thanks, I'll have to look for it. My audio system was dying that night so I was distracted. I'll look for Jango Fett too.
Matt, it's entirely possible the new management can do a really good Star Wars film. And with violence on par with the originals. Time will tell.
I don't think I noticed the head bonk until the early 90's, and I had seen the letterboxed Laserdiscs quite a bit by then. The special edition soundmix may have added a sound effect to the bump, but I haven't seen that version in a long time.
Still amazed when I see something in the movies I never noticed after all these years. Only recently spotted the other Artoo unit serving drinks on Jabba's barge in Jedi. Never saw the Taun Taun head on the wall in Jabba's palace until someone pointed it out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ A few years ago, he was one of the billionaires who pledged to give the bulk of his money away as well. He said that his kids would be well taken care of but they wouldn't have the kind of money where they could buy private jets and the rest would go charities.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Chalk this up to the eternal optimist in me... ;)
I hold out hope for the OOT now because Lucas has sworn he would never release the OOT. Well now "he" won't: Disney will.
And before you nail me on this "technicality" in one of those promo piece interviews linked in the previous pages, Lucas talks about Episode 7 and says something along the lines of "I said I wouldn't do any more SW movies...and I'm not, [Disney's] going to." So he's already paving the road for Disney to do things he swore he'd never do.
As we all get older, one of the things that can happen to a lot of people is that things they've said or done that made sense at the time...maybe don't make so much sense as "the end" approaches. While the perfectionist in Lucas wholeheartedly believes his OT was "never finished" - a notion that was only further solidified when combined with the loud backlash of a group of his fanbase. I mean who wants to be told by others what to do, right?
But now as he approaches 70 he's probably more eager to secure a positive legacy than anything else. Steve Jobs did the same towards the end of his life, though for Jobs that was much more pressing because he knew about when he would die based on his disease. I think the film historian and preservationist in Lucas surely must see the historical value and significance of the original versions.
But just wait, now that I've put out my theory, some site will break the news that the sale of LFL to Disney has a rider clause that states the OOT can never be released... :D

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Carlo Medina said:
Chalk this up to the eternal optimist in me... ;)
I hold out hope for the OOT now because Lucas has sworn he would never release the OOT. Well now "he" won't: Disney will.
And before you nail me on this "technicality" in one of those promo piece interviews linked in the previous pages, Lucas talks about Episode 7 and says something along the lines of "I said I wouldn't do any more SW movies...and I'm not, [Disney's] going to." So he's already paving the road for Disney to do things he swore he'd never do.
As we all get older, one of the things that can happen to a lot of people is that things they've said or done that made sense at the time...maybe don't make so much sense as "the end" approaches. While the perfectionist in Lucas wholeheartedly believes his OT was "never finished" - a notion that was only further solidified when combined with the loud backlash of a group of his fanbase. I mean who wants to be told by others what to do, right?
But now as he approaches 70 he's probably more eager to secure a positive legacy than anything else. Steve Jobs did the same towards the end of his life, though for Jobs that was much more pressing because he knew about when he would die based on his disease. I think the film historian and preservationist in Lucas surely must see the historical value and significance of the original versions.
But just wait, now that I've put out my theory, some site will break the news that the sale of LFL to Disney has a rider clause that states the OOT can never be released... :D
I've been hearing the last few days that Fox still retains all distribution rights to the OT. So Disney doesn't have the ability to release the movies in any form.
Of course, that doesn't mean Fox won't, but if there was a contract preventing them from it, they're still bound by it even with Disney buying the movies.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Steve_Tk said:
Haven't really seen this mentioned, but shouldn't Michael Bay be an option? :cool:
Yes he should direct and I pray to God that he reuses some footage from The Island (2005) so that they can save some costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks