Disney announce 21 more from the vault for July & September

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Johnny G, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

Sorry for the capitals, I'm lazy so I've just copied & pasted

JULY 6TH

DAVY CROCKET 50TH
    CAT FROM OUTER SPACE
    THREE LIVES OF THOMASINA
    BALLOON FARM
    GREYFRIARS BOBBY
    NAPOLEON & SAMANTHA
    NEVER A DULL MOMENT
    ONE AND ONLY, GENUINE, ORGINAL FAMILY BAND
    NORTH AVENUE IRREGULARS
    NO DEPOSIT NO RETURN

SEPTEMBER 7TH

HANS BRINKER OR THE SILVER SKATE
    NEVER CRY WOLF
    ONE MAGIC CHRISTMAS
    TEX
    LAST FLIGHT OF NOAHS ARK, THE
    SQUANTO WARRIORS TALE
    ONE LITTLE INDIAN
    CHRISTMAS STAR, THE
    TIGER TOWN
    ISLAND AT THE TOP/WORLD 30TH
    CHARLIE THE LONSOME COUGAR

2. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Where oh where is The Fighting Prince of Donegal?!

That was one of my favorite movies back when I was very small, a long time ago in a galaxy named New Jersey. [​IMG]

3. Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann Supporting Actor

I pray for all to be OAR but when you look at the recent catalog releases (Moon-Spinners, Gnome-Mobile, Follow Me Boys...) it's probably too much to hope for. All will probably be barebones and if we're lucky half will be oar.

4. WillG

WillG Producer

It's almost frustrating seeing these Disney Catalog announcement, because you now have be concened with how many will get OAR treatmen.

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Tiger Town was an early Disney Channel movie (with Roy Scheider), so it should be 1.33:1 Hans Brinker was originally on the anthology series, as was The Christmas Star (the former from the early 60s, the latter from 1986).

6. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Of the ones Anchor Bay originally released, I hope they get new transfers - yeah, right.

8. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    My guess is that most of the titles will be pan and scan/full screen, but that those originally released in widescreen by Anchor Bay will be anamorphic. Some nice little titles in the July batch - GREYFRIAR'S BOBBY and THOMASINA are decent movies and great for people who love animals, but I have almost no faith these will be OAR.

9. Mark J Crawford

Jeff: we can only hope!

I hope Disney goes into their vault again (later) and releases TONKA on DVD. Great movie (touted as a family movie but with a great depiction of the Custer massacre at the end of the film) which I haven't seen in 20+ years.

10. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I may get Never Cry Wolf, as I never got the Anchor Bay DVD. Hope it's anamorphic.

11. ChrisRose

ChrisRose Stunt Coordinator

I'm excited about these releases... of course I've come to expect very little from Disney anymore, and I'm only expecting OAR from the titles Anchor Bay originally released OAR.

As much as I hate pan and scan, I'm trying to be calm and philosophical about the whole thing. A lot of these movies are obscure, so trying to decide whether to buy the DVD, I ask myself: years ago, would I have bought this movie on VHS, just to be able to *see* it? Yup. (Some of the films listed above I *did* buy on VHS). And of course the VHS wouldn't be OAR. I know, we all expect more from DVD. It sucks that the studios are treating DVD like VHS. But I can't pass up the opportunity to watch/own an old movie that's out of print on VHS, that I've been dying to see... so yeah. I'll just have to start thinking of the pan and scan DVDs as VHS-tapes-that-at-least-wont-wear-out. [​IMG]

12. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

Great. Talk about a quandry. I've been wanting "North Avenue Irregulars" from AB and now I have to wait and see if Disney botches it up with another OAR bungle or whether we get a better version.

And on top of that, still no "Flight of the Navigator." I'm wearing that VHS out to the point of no-return.

13. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

has disney published any specs about the upcomingreases of Happiest Millionaire and One and only family band.
    Will the upcoming darby ogill have the trailer?

14. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

When oh when are we going to get a collector's edition of Pinocchio?
    Ever? Never? Wasn't this supposed to be one of their "Platinum Edition" DVDs?

15. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Specualting: I would imagine that DisneyCo would have to burn through the existing Platinum Titles before getting to Pinocchio. When was the Gold Collection Pinocchio released on DVD? 1999 was it? And the R2 "Special Edition/Collector's Edition" that was released last year was much criticized for being sparse on extras. I wouldn't expect Pinocchio to surface in the Platinum format until after Cinderella, Bambi, The Little Mermaid, Lady and the Tramp and 101 Dalmatians are released as Platinum Titles. Maybe Spring 2007?

Speaking personally, I was always miffed that Pinocchio wasn't immediately named a Platinum title, but Disney wasn't going by quality, they were using total sales as their yardstick when naming titles to the Platinum Line. They took their ten highest-selling titles on VHS and Laser, and these were branded as titles for the "Platinum Edition", everything else was originally supposed to be released as a "Gold Collection" title within 24 months. They've since added Pinocchio and Fantasia to the "Platinum Edition" line, as well as Sleeping Beauty and Peter Pan.

Regardless of total sales, Pinocchio has been revered as the crown jewel of the First Golden Age of Disney Feature Animation by film historians, animation scholars, and animation afficianados for the last several decades. The Gold Collection DVD gave nitpickers many nits to sort through, from the "freeze frame" attempt to cut down on grain scrawl during the opening credits (whoever was in charge of the transfer actually froze the visual image after each credit appeared to cut down on grain scrawl), to the absolute dearth of substantive bonus features. The VHS release of the same title in the same year had more behind the scenes info than the DVD. Roger Ebert himself called the DVD release "a real shame".

But hey, maybe the wait for the Pinocchio: Platinum Edition will give Eisner time to re-render the entire thing in CGI, since he's openly gushing about how much he wants to turn the hand-drawn animation of Dumbo and Peter Pan into CGI animation.

16. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

One down (Tiger Town), two to go (World's Greatest Athelete, Lt. Robinson Crusoe USN).

A few months ago, I finally transferred a Japanese LD of Tiger Town to DVD-R. The LD wasn't a good transfer, pretty poor, so I am looking forward to this release.

17. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Thanks Ernest. At least it's on it's way. I've held off two or three times buying the gold edition thinking it was announced as a future special or "Platinum" edition release. It's nice to get that verified.

It seems like Pinocchio never gets it's due as the pioneering film that it is. Let alone for it's entertainment factor. Hopefully the platinum edition will rectify that.

18. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

Wow. I stand corrected Joel. Now I can more happily look forward to North Avenue Irregulars and Cat From Outer Space.