Disney Annimation

Discussion in 'DVD' started by bob kaplan, May 11, 2006.

1. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

bob kaplan
    Both HERCULES and BLACK CAULDRON need some special care. They were issued without anamorphic transferes. With several titiles being revampt, has anyone heard of possibilites for these?

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Was THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME anamorphic? I have it, but I don't remember.

HERCULES is definitely one they need to revisit. I've always thought DIsney considered THE BLACK CAULDRON as it ugly duckling title: got bad reviews and did lousy business. I'm not sure they'd care to invest much in revamping it.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    They cut Black Cauldron before release, even after the scenes excised had been inked and painted and the music scored. The amount of footage is said to have been as little as 2 minutes or as much as 12 minutes.

4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

I believe it is. It also has a DTS track.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Disney owns The Thief and the Cobbler and it needs a restored widescreen edition.

It's so hard to get a decent DVD of the bastardized version... you have to get an out of print Japanese DVD that has poor contrast, filtering, and is non-progressive. That's for the most altered Miramax cut. If you want the longer other bastardized cut (that is about 10 minutes longer), you have to go with a crappy P&S DVD from Australia (also out of print). Americans have to get a lousy $30 pan & scan DVD of the most altered cut. Only a Froot Loops freebie has a 5.1 soundtrack (still pan & scan). You can at least download an good quality DivX of the uncut workprint from eMule, but most people have to deal with 3rd generation VHS sourced DVD-R's from collectors. Red-headed stepchildren get treated better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    1,000% agree on The Black Cauldron. I think, eventually, we'll see it once Disney runs out of titles to double dip on. Maybe next year?

*Tapping foot* Still waiting on those SE's of Lilo and Stitch and Treasure Planet, guys...

7. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I own the Hercules "Limited Edition" DVD (purchased in Fall of '99!). It's not too bad ... The non-anamorphic video is provided in an aspect ratio of 1.66:1, so it zooms up quite nicely on my IF 4805 projector. There are a few places where "stairstepping" is evident, but there are *no* EE artifacts, so it's tolerable. The audio is DD 5.1 (and really rumbles when the Titans get out); and there's even a few "extras" : A music video (in Spanish?) and a 10 minute "making of" featurette.

Still ... I would *love* to be able to purchase a two-disc SE of this title. But time is running out: I intend to be purchasing HD discs exclusively starting around July 2007 (that's when I anticipate purchasing my IN76 and HD "Combo" player!)

8. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
  9. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

We need a restored Black Cauldron - with lots of extras. I'm sure it would be better to have the Criterion Collection handle this particular title...

10. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

Yeah, I participated with him on the commentary. [​IMG] I hesitate to say anything due to its nature, but I will say it's excellent and will at least allow people to see it properly until Disney ever decides to shell out a couple million for a restoration.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The video transfer and extras for "The Black Cauldron" leave a lot to be desired, but I thought the audio track sounded very good. It sounds like a straight re-purposing of a multi-channel mag track circa the mid 80s with minimal digital futzing. If they get around to re-mastering this title, I hope they resist the urge to "improve" the audio too much.

Regards,

13. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

bob kaplan
    It's been nearly two years since my first post. i was hoping that, with the increase in the number of widescreen tv's during that time, someone might have heard additional info on these titles.
    Thanks.
    bob

14. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

I think Disney has moved on to BluRay....

They are already announcing platinum titles, so I would assume at least Hunchback and Hercules will get nice looking BD discs direct from the CAPS system.

Perhaps when it comes time to revisit Black Couldron, John Lassetter who was a contemporary of many of the animators who cut their teeth on that film, will pull some strings for the sake of history

15. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Unfortunately the films made between 1970 and 1988 don't get much love from within the animation industry, even within the Disney company. Especially not Cauldron (which I admit to never having seen).

16. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

I'd love to have a special edition of these three films. The Black Cauldron should be worth it for the behind-the-scenes story alone. But since the film is really unpopular with Disney, I'd doubt it. If you really want a good version of TBC, you should buy the French R2. It's remastered and anamorphic.
    I absolutely love The Hunchback of Notre Dame, one of my favorite Disney pictures. But again, it isn't a favorite of Disney's. And with a packed laserdisc out, they don't even need to produce new material. Seeing that they didn't even took all the material that was on the laserdisc, and put in on the first dvd, there was definitely a missed opportunity. At least you guys got an audio commentary.
    I thought that Hercules was a popular film, that did good business? I don't understand why this hasn't gotten a proper special edition. But we'll probably have to wait for the Blu-Ray to come. If they release that non-anamorphically, they'll be out of their minds.