Disney Animation fans, help me decide about Adventures of Tom Thumb and Thumbelina

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Johnny G, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

I hadn't heard of this title until I was categorizing my collection according to Ultimate Disney's lists and having looked it up, I've found it's actually produced by Miramax &but distributed by Disney.

I have tried to collect all the animation ever produced by Disney on DVD (click on the link below to see my collection), so if it was Disney, I'd have no doubts.

What I want to know is whether this film is up to Disney standard, or at least their straight to video stuff.

Also would I be best showing my kids Fox's Thumbelina first or is this not necessary?

2. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

This isn't a real Disney film. It was just a film that they picked up for video distribution. Don't fall prey to its substandard animation and storytelling. Ick ick ick.

3. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Thumbelina makes my eyes bleed. Avoid both.

4. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

Correct, neither was produced by Disney Animation. Thumbelina is a Don Bluth film; not sure about Thumb.

5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Actually he's talking about one film. There is a separate THUMBELINA that was, indeed, a Bluth film. The one he's talking about has animation that makes the latest LAND BEFORE TIME cheapquel look like art.

6. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Question: why would you be punishing your children by showing them *anything* that was "up to [Disney's] made for video stuff"? God knows the world is full of unique and special films that would take precedent over any Disney Cheapquel.

7. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Yes - you can go back to the 20's with THE ADVENTURES OF PRINCE ACHMED and be fascinated by the animation of silhouetted paper cut-outs, which by today's standards would seem crude. But because we know they are from a technology-challenged era, they are wonderful. If suddenly we were to discover that ACHMED had actually been produced ten years ago, we would probably think it was a piece of crap. Interesting how just knowing a release date can determine how we perceive it.

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Actually, even if ACHMED had been produced ten years ago, I'd still be in awe of it. It's a lovely, funny, amazing film. I know what you're saying, though, Dick.