What's new

Disney animated movies on LaserDisc? (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I'm looking for some info on Disney's animated movies that are available on LaserDisc. Specifically, I'd like to know which movies ARE available, and for each movie, details on every single version and variation. I'd like to know if there was just a plain movie release or if there was a Masterpiece or Exclusive Archive Collection release, and if the box sets were available in both CAV and CLV or one or the other, and which box set had all the goodies and which didn't. I've noticed on eBay that the CLV versions of box sets sometimes don't have as many goodies as the CAV versions. So that I can know before I buy or bid on something, that what I'm buying or bidding on is the best possible version, I need to know what all the variations are. If someone could detail that info out for me, or direct me to a website that already has all that info, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, just off the top of my head, I believe every Disney animated feature through Aladdin was issued on laserdisc. The first ones are roughly in order of release, but the rest are in order of memory:

Dumbo (original CLV, early 80s)
Alice in Wonderland (original CLV, early 80s)
Robin Hood (original CLV)
Pinocchio (original CLV and CAV, 1985)
Lady and the Tramp (original P&S CLV -- CAV ever available???)
Bambi (original CLV and CAV)
Cinderella (original CLV and CAV)
Sleeping Beauty (original P&S CLV -- did CAV exist on original issue???)
The Little Mermaid (original CLV & CAV, both with "phallic castle" cover)
Beauty & the Beast Work in Progress (CAV only, I believe)
Beauty & the Beast (CLV & CAV)
The Lion King (CLV)
The Lion King (Edit: CAV Boxed set)
Aladdin (CLV & CAV)
Saludos Amigos/The Three Cabelleros (CLV and big CAV collectors box set)
Alice in Wonderland (CLV remaster)
Alice in Wonderland (CAV Collector's box set)
Fantasia (CLV, CAV, & CAV boxed set with lithographs)
Pinocchio (CLV reissue & CAV boxed set with CD & lithographs)
Snow White (CLV & CAV boxed set with CD & lithograph)
Dumbo (remastered CLV & collectors CAV)
Bambi (remastered CLV & collectors CAV)
Peter Pan (original CLV & CAV)
Peter Pan (remastered CLV -- "regular" CAV issued???)
Peter Pan (remastered boxed set)
The Aristocats (CLV & CAV)
The Rescuers (CLV & CAV)
Robin Hood (remastered CLV & CAV)
The Jungle Book (original CLV & CAV)
The Jungle Book (remastered 25th anniversary CLV & CAV)
The Sword in the Stone (remastered CLV -- CAV ever issued???)
The Sword in the Stone (original CLV from early 80s??? Might be my imagination)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not aware of a website with them all listed, but you can search by each individual movie at imdb.com and click the laserdisc information link.

It's reasonably accurate and lists many of the supplements on the box sets. It also lists many of the foreign releases and occasionally even comments on the quality of the set or the transfer. It can be difficult at times since it doesn't always list the title exactly like the LD itself does, it can difficult to tell the CAV only sets for the Box Sets, and there are gaps in some of the movies (the SW: 5 and 6 have been messed up for a while.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, I owned most of these titles once. I can say with authority that if you want to find a sharper image for THE JUNGLE BOOK (1967) than was available on DVD, go for the original FIRST laser release (either CAV or CLV). It is a marvelous-looking disc with crystal-clear image. The supposed "remastered" special edition laser had soft edges, as did (disappointingly) the DVD. You can find the original laser for peanuts on eBay. Another to look for: the SECOND laser release of Bambi, which was restored, and eliminates all the distracting speckles from the image and improves color fidelity beautifully. The CLV is just fine, but the CAV edition has a few great extras and a beautifully designed gatefold jacket. SLEEPING BEAUTY in any of its laser configurations (including 3-disc box set)was not that great - the picture is too soft. I'd wait for the soon-to-be-released DVD special edition, which will most likely be superb. The most recent incarnation of THE RESCUERS is nice - it's letterboxed and is sharp as a tack. This was recalled and re-issued after a brief run sans the couple of (nearly impossible to spot) frames of a nude in a window, if this is of collectable interest. LADY AND THE TRAMP was issued early on as standard P&S CAV abd CLV, but upon re-issue isney did something unique. They released the 2.35:1 version, and also a full-screen (flat, 1.37:1) edition, which was an alternately-framed and photographed rendition of the film released in 1955 specifically for theaters which had not yet installed CinemaScope ratio screens. The DVD was released only in 2.35, so this might be a collector's item some day (unless the 1.37:1 non-P&S version is included on the eventual Platinum edition). Anyway, those are a few editions I would recommend seeking out. Almost all are good, many of them outstanding.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
I'll reply just on the titles which I still own (those not yet available on DVD):

Bambi (CAV Gatefold) - Look for the 55th anniversary CAV release. The picture and sound have been restored, and the disc includes the documentary "The Magic Behind The Masterpiece", the original trailer & reissue trailer, "Tricks Of the Trade" TV special, and original concept art.

Aladdin (CAV Gatefold) - Although limited in extras (trailer ONLY), the picture and sound are great, and the gatefold packaging artwork is terrific.

Lion King (CAV Deluxe Box) - A fantastic set. Includes the 2-disc CAV version of the film in the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio with dolby digital sound. Picture and sound quality is top-notch! Separate 2-disc set with supplemental material including "the making of documentary", storyboard comparisons, character design, early concepts, running commentary, publicity and trailers, and much more! Also includes a package of conceptual lithographs. Original retail was $125

Cinderella (CAV Deluxe Box) - Another great set! Includes the 2-disc CAV version of the film (three sides - 20 chapter stops) which is remastered and looks great. Includes a single supplemental disc featuring animator interviews, deleted songs, voice-casting excerpts, charcter designs, layouts, storyboard sequences, publicity and merchandising. Also includes a lithograph and hardbound storybook.

Sleeping Beauty (CAV Deluxe Box)- Presented in the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio, but the picture is soft compared to the others. 2-disc CAV version of the film with 31 chapter stops. Includes a single disc of supplemental materials including concept art, charcter design, storyboard analysis, layouts and backgrounds, music adaptation, publicity and trailers, and more!

Song Of the South (Japanese CLV import) - Bilingual disc allows to choose english language. Japanese subtitles appear only during the musical sequences. Presented full-frame, the picture and sound are obviously not stellar. It is the only version available.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
You want the Disney Animation Archive. Go here:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/animationarchive/Disney/
Under Past & Present Info for Disney Films, you'll get here:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/pixararch...ey/current.php
Click on the movie you're looking for and then on the left hand side there is an LD Info link. This has detailed info on all the various laserdisc releases for the movie.
For instance, clicking on the LD Info for The Lion King:
LD CLV: Dropped from print March 1996-American version
LaserDisc Number: 245
Label: Disney
Catalogue Number: 2977 AS
LaserDisc Title: Lion King, The
Production Country: USA
Year: 1994
Certification: G
Category: Movie
Group (Genre): Animation
Language: English
Length: 88
Release Date: Sept. 19,1995
Official Retail Price: $29.99
Video Standard: NTSC
Color Information: Color
Sound Encoding: Digital /AC-3/Analog
Digital Sound: Dolby Surround
Analog Left: Mono
Analog Right: AC-3
Master Format: Film
Pressing Plant: Pioneer USA
Disc Size: 12
Number of Sides: 2
Disc Format: CLV
Picture Format: Letterbox
Aspect Ratio: 1.80 : 1
Close Captions /Teletext/LD+G: CC
THX: THX
Number of Chapter Stops: 27
Additional Information: Edition: 2977-1
LD CLV : Japanese version 1
LaserDisc Number: 5563
Catalogue Number: PILA-1345
Language: English/Japanese
Release Date: Sept. 29,1995
Official Retail Price: Y 4841
Sound Encoding: Digital /Analog-CX
Analog Left: Dolby Surround
Close Captions /Teletext /LD+G: LD+G
Additional Information:
Discontinued 31 March 1996 Supplements: Six postcards and the video clip "Pocahontas: Colors of the Wind".
LD CLV: Japanese version 2
LaserDisc Number: 5562
Catalogue Number: PILA-1344
Subtitles: Japanese
Release Date: Sept. 29,1995
Official Retail Price: Y 4841
Sound Encoding: Digital /AC-3/Analog
Close Captions /Teletext/LD+G: LD+G
Additional Information:
Discontinued 31 March 1996 Supplements: Six postcards and the video clip "Pocahontas: Colors of the Wind"
LD CLV: Japanese version
Dropped from print March 1996
LaserDisc Number: 5564
Language: English /Japanese
Release Date: Dec. 10,1995
Official Retail Price: Y 15000
Sound Encoding: Digital /Analog-CX
Analog Right: Commentary
Pressing Plant: Pioneer Japan
Number of Sides: 4
Disc Format: CLV/CAV
Close Captions /Teletext /LD+G: LD+G
Additional Information:
This is a box set with the movie in CLV and supplements in CAV on a second disc. The digital soundtrack is in English and the analog mono soundtrack is in Japanese.
Audio commentary about the making of the in Japanese.
LD CAV: Dropped from print March 1996
LaserDisc Number: 246
Catalogue Number: 4613 CS
Certification: G
Release Date: Sept. 19,1995
Official Retail Price: $124.99
Sound Encoding: Digital/AC-3 /Analog
Pressing Plant: Pioneer USA
Number of Sides: 8
Disc Format: CAV
Aspect Ratio: 1.80 : 1
Close Captions /Teletext /LD+G: CC
Additional Information: Edition: 4613-1. Supplements:
A portfolio including 6 lithographs of conceptual artwork
Documentary "The Making of Lion King"
History and development of The Lion King story
Sequence Breakdown and Storyboard introduction
Storyboard Pitch (The Reflecting Pool / Mufasa's Ghost)
Storyboards ("The Circle of Life", "I Just Can't Wait To Be King", The Stampede/ Mufasa's Death, The Reflectiing Pool / Mufasa's Ghost, The Fight)
Storyboard -to-film comparison ("The Circle Of Life")
Characters Design introduction
Character Design of Mufasa, Simba, Scar, Rafiki, Timon and Pumba, Zazu, Hyenas: Shenzi, Banzai and Ed, Nala, Sarabi, Female Lions and miscellaneous other characters
Preliminary Designs and Early Concepts (Simba's presentation, Timon and Pumbaa find Simba, "Warthog Rhapsodfy", "Hakuna Matata" - Timon's verse, Bug Football, "Be Prepared" reprise, "Can You Feel The Love Tonight", Simba Decides to Return, The Fight)
Art, Designs, Layouts and Backgrounds; Animation (3 different audio tracks, commentary by Randy Fullmer)
Computer animation; Publicity material and international Versions

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks