Disney and Viacom fined by the FCC

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Marc_Sulinski, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangele...8/daily47.html

It seems they were fined by the FCC for showing too many commercials on Nickelodeon and ABC Family. My question is this: Since Nickelodeon and ABC Family are cable stations, why are they subject to the rules of the FCC?

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Because both applied for and receive tax credit for showing educational and/or children's programming per percentage of their daily programming. Too many commercials can lower their %'s of daily programming or violate the educational agreement.

Lots of big companies put up little stations as tax-write offs or "gimmies" (see: Noggin) etc. ABC & Viacom promoted their networks to receive tax benefits and they got called on it.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Biggest reason why I don't have cable in the first place- if I'm paying for it, I don't want to see ANY commercials!

4. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Jesse I totally agree with you. But some channels I must have like ESPN HD. If not for that, I wouldn't care, everything else I pretty much watch on tv except:

HBO Boxing
    Showtime boxing
    Sopranos
    Music Videos
    A & E programs
    Dave Chappelle show
    Home Movies (cartoon network)
    Sports
    Discovery HD (American Chopper)

Wow I guess I do watch a lot of cable.[​IMG]