What's new

Disney (And Touchstone) titles now appearing on VUDU in HiDef (and the A&P) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anyone have a digital copy of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? I'd like to get that one on blu-ray, but I'm wondering if it would be better to just get the digital version instead. What I'd really like is a 4K edition, but I'm not holding my breath that it ever happens.
I do. It looks terrific.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Anyone have a digital copy of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? I'd like to get that one on blu-ray, but I'm wondering if it would be better to just get the digital version instead. What I'd really like is a 4K edition, but I'm not holding my breath that it ever happens.

Now you got me going on another quest to get Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) released onto UHD (4K) Blu-ray.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Easiest way to check things like this is www.CanIStream.It

Edit: Sorry I thought you were asking which services have it.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Since I was intrigued by being able to watch The Black Hole in HD, I got Hoopla all set up this evening. I watched The Black Hole in its entirety and sampled two other films (The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and The Cat From Outer Space). I'm not so sure that any of these were HD. They certainly didn't look it. It's possible that all 3 of these films were from older masters and that might be the reason.

The Black Hole looked so soft to me that I actually got out the DVD to compare. The Hoopla version certainly looked cleaner than the DVD, although I'm not sure that I was seeing any difference in fine detail.

Nonetheless, it's a free service and they have some good titles on there.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Since I was intrigued by being able to watch The Black Hole in HD, I got Hoopla all set up this evening. I watched The Black Hole in its entirety and sampled two other films (The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover and The Cat From Outer Space). I'm not so sure that any of these were HD. They certainly didn't look it. It's possible that all 3 of these films were from older masters and that might be the reason.

The Black Hole looked so soft to me that I actually got out the DVD to compare. The Hoopla version certainly looked cleaner than the DVD, although I'm not sure that I was seeing any difference in fine detail.

Nonetheless, it's a free service and they have some good titles on there.

With regards to The Black Hole (1979), this could be a case of you-get-what-you-pay-for. I purchased this title on Vudu and it looks quite nice. Much better than the DVD and a lot better than some Blu-ray titles I’ve seen on the market.

I’m hoping the other Disney titles available look anywhere near as good.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
With regards to The Black Hole (1979), this could be a case of you-get-what-you-pay-for. I purchased this title on Vudu and it looks quite nice. Much better than the DVD and a lot better than some Blu-ray titles I’ve seen on the market.
That's good to know. I'll probably check it out again on Disney Plus to see how it looks on there.

I’m hoping the other Disney titles available look anywhere near as good.
I can't find any reference to them offering anything in HD. I found an old article from 2015 in USA Today where they mention they are "working on it" but were totally SD at that time.

Again, I'm not complaining. It's free.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s worth noting that Black Hole has a ton of opticals so it’s never going to be perfectly sharp like a 2019 movie anyway.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, viewed the first of the Disney offerings on Vudu last night, Darby O’Gill And The Little People (1960). I purchased the HDX version and viewed it on my HD laptop.

The first thing you notice is the aspect ratio of 1.33:1 or 1.37:1. PQ was s definite improvement over the SD offering and I’m guessing an improvement over the DVD. But the aspect ratio surprised me as I was expecting something more widescreen this being a 1959 film and it was my first full viewing of this movie.
A quick look over on IMDB indicated three different ARs, 1.33:1 open matte, 1.37:1 negative ratio and 1.78:1 matted theatrical aspect ratio. Obviously the Vudu offering was one of the first two.

Once I get home, plan a larger screen viewing. Any input from other folks welcome on this one.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well folks, viewed the first of the Disney offerings on Vudu last night, Darby O’Gill And The Little People (1960). I purchased the HDX version and viewed it on my HD laptop.

The first thing you notice is the aspect ratio of 1.33:1 or 1.37:1. PQ was s definite improvement over the SD offering and I’m guessing an improvement over the DVD. But the aspect ratio surprised me as I was expecting something more widescreen this being a 1959 film and it was my first full viewing of this movie.
A quick look over on IMDB indicated three different ARs, 1.33:1 open matte, 1.37:1 negative ratio and 1.78:1 matted theatrical aspect ratio. Obviously the Vudu offering was one of the first two.

Once I get home, plan a larger screen viewing. Any input from other folks welcome on this one.
Watch it on the Movies Anywhere app. They have the newer 1.66:1 transfer. The only other app that has the new transfer is FandangoNow. ITunes, Vudu, Amazon, and GooglePlay all have the old 1.33:1.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think Vudu has the only correct version of Natty Gan from what I remember.

Anyway Hoolpa is a great resource for movies and books that are hard to see anywhere else but my experience with the audio and video is that it is closer to dvd quality then it is to Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think Vudu has the only correct word discreetness version of Natty Gan from what I remember.

Anyway Hoolpa is a great resource for movies and books that are hard to see anywhere else but my experience with the audio and video is that it is closer to dvd quality then it is to Blu-ray.
“Correct word discreetness version”? What on earth are you talking about Tony? The version of The Journey of Natty Gann that is on Vudu is identical to the 2.35:1 version that is on all digital platforms now. It’s also out on Blu-ray as a club exclusive too.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeh that’s the autocorrect working it’s magic.

Ok right, I didn’t realize that Natty had made it to DMC last year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks