What's new

Disney (And Touchstone) titles now appearing on VUDU in HiDef (and the A&P) (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks looks like certain Paramount titles aren’t the only ones making their HD debuts on Vudu (and Amazon Prime whom I humorously refer to as The A&P, older readers will get the joke).

Seems now some of the Disney (And Touchstone) live action classics we’ve been waiting for are now available online on both services in high definition. These include titles rather in demand here on HTF from some of our Disney following members.

So far I’ve found the following available in HD, or HDX (which are not yet available on Blu-ray):

Darby O’Gill And The Little People (1959)
The Moon-Spinners (1964)
The Ugly Dachshund (1966)
The Happiest Millionaire (1967)
The Black Hole (1979)
Three Men And A Baby (1987)
Three Men And A Little Lady (1990)
Captain Ron (1992)
Six Days, Seven Nights (1998)

One unfortunate title still not being offered, That Darn Cat (1965).

Also found a few other titles that have had Blu-ray releases. The Parent Trap (1961 & 1998) and 20000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954) being two such examples.

I won’t vouch yet for the image & sound quality of these offerings but I’ll definitely be buying a sample or two. If they match or come close to Blu-ray quality, might add them to my online collection.
This of course would not preclude me from buying any future Blu-ray offerings off this list.

Which makes me now wonder if these titles will be migrating to Disney+ come November 2019 or a little later.

Your Thoughts??

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Disney titles isn't a new development on Vudu and iTunes. I don't know about Amazon Prime as I rarely stream from them as I think they're the worst when it comes to the quality of streams.

Also, those titles will continue to be offered to purchase digitally on Vudu, iTunes and Prime despite being available on Disney+ for streaming. I, for one, have stop buying any Disney titles until Disney+ goes live. Why spend the monies on digital purchases when I can easily stream those same titles on Disney+ for whatever the yearly subscription price is going to be.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t mean to sound snarky, I really don’t, but my immediate thought is... I’ve been trying to tell everyone about this for years. These titles are readily available for rental and purchase on all the major digital retailers and have been for years.

Many of these titles have been available in HD for five years or longer.

These are the same masters that would be used for any future Blu-ray releases.

As to the quality, much of streaming is dependent on what you’re using on your end. Inexpensive streaming players and apps built in to other physical hardware devices tend to provide lower quality experiences and an AppleTV is generally agreed to provide the best.

iTunes is generally recognized as having the best video quality with Vudu a close second. Amazon is generally in last place among viewer preference.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I don’t mean to sound snarky, I really don’t, but my immediate thought is... I’ve been trying to tell everyone about this for years. These titles are readily available for rental and purchase on all the major digital retailers and have been for years.

Many of these titles have been available in HD for five years or longer.

These are the same masters that would be used for any future Blu-ray releases.

As to the quality, much of streaming is dependent on what you’re using on your end. Inexpensive streaming players and apps built in to other physical hardware devices tend to provide lower quality experiences and an AppleTV is generally agreed to provide the best.

iTunes is generally recognized as having the best video quality with Vudu a close second. Amazon is generally in last place among viewer preference.

Well Josh, the old saying goes “it’s news to me”. Guess I’m still a little new to online movie collection.

I stream nowadays on a Roku Ultra 4K (primary Home theater setup) and on a Sony Blu-ray player (vintage 2015) on my bedroom TV setup. I primarily use Vudu but go to the A&P for some titles I can’t find elsewhere though that does change.

Be adding Apple TV 4K soon, preferably the 64GB model.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well Josh, the old saying goes “it’s news to me”. Guess I’m still a little new to online movie collection.

I stream nowadays on a Roku Ultra 4K (primary Home theater setup) and on a Sony Blu-ray player (vintage 2015) on my bedroom TV setup. I primarily use Vudu but go to the A&P for some titles I can’t find elsewhere though that does change.

Be adding Apple TV 4K soon, preferably the 64GB model.
Why do you want a 64GB model?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I’ve read that if you only plan on streaming movies, 32GB is quite adequate. But if you plan on any (legal) downloading, 64 GB comes in handy.
Am I correct?
The Internal storage is only for apps. Movies can't be downloaded to the Apple TV. You can download them to your computer, but not in 4K - 1080/720 or SD only.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Touché. I do remember that.
I included TBH because it’s still not available on Blu-ray. Probably should have noted that.
I just didn’t realize how many Disney titles are now, or have been available digitally.
Yeah, there’s been a lot of discussion about Disney titles in the “Digital Deals” and “Movies Anywhere” threads. Some of these titles have been on sale for as little as $7.99 from time to time, but Disney digital generally doesn’t sell for lower than that. Since you say you’re relatively new to digital purchasing, are you even aware of Movies Anywhere which Disney is a part of? Linking all your accounts (Amazon, Vudu, iTunes, GooglePlay, FandangoNow) transfers all your purchases to all those accounts.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Most of the titles you (the OP) mention are also available to stream free in HD on Hoopla.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well that was educational. Thank you Worth.

Question now is the 64GB version worth the extra $30 to $40?
I have three 4KAppleTV units in my household. The first unit I purchased was 64GB, the other two were 32GB with the same level of performance and enjoyment. My advice is to save those extra bucks.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I have never tried Hoopla. How is the quality of their streams?

For the most part, they are good especially with newer films. I streamed Summer of 84 (from 2018) and was very satisfied. I stream via Roku Ultra on a Sony 65" OLED.

They are not as strong of an overall streamer as Netflix, for example. But for the price - free and without commercials - it's a perfect way to see some alternative or hard to find films. I streamed some of their 1960s Disney films and was generally pleased. I haven't streamed these Disney films anywhere else so I don't know how they would compare purchased from iTunes for example.

However, on one occasion, Hoopla had one movie (I forget what it was - but I could check my viewing history) that was zoomed in so that subtitles were nearly cropped and some credits were cropped. It was unacceptable. I wrote Hoopla. I don't know if it was their fault or whoever supplied the file, but either way, they should not be showing it.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The catch is that your local library must be a member of Hoopla.

It is true, your library must use Hoopla to get the movies. You use a library card once, from home, and you go from there. If your library doesn't use Hoopla, there's a good chance it uses Kanopy. Both services are free for library members of the particular county/city/library system. When I think of "catch", it sounds like a hidden "hook" to get a customer to use a product in the hopes that something else is given to the seller.

There is no hook or ulterior motive. They are both just 2 competiting services that libraries use for digital movie, music, books and comic rentals.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Anyone have a digital copy of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? I'd like to get that one on blu-ray, but I'm wondering if it would be better to just get the digital version instead. What I'd really like is a 4K edition, but I'm not holding my breath that it ever happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks