What's new

Disney and Fox Blu-ray Pricing! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Will the high MSRP by Disney and Fox on catalogue Blu-ray titles affect sales numbers? Currently, the pricing by Disney is $34.99 and Fox is $39.98 while Warner and Paramount charge $29.98 for their BRD. In time, the market will help define the pricing of software, but I don't see myself buying many Disney and Fox titles at that pricepoint. I've been spoiled! I have "Speed" on preorder, but it's the only BRD from both of those studios that I'll purchase in the next 2-3 months. I wonder how long before they see the error in their ways before reducing that MSRP like Universal did with HD DVD?

How many of you are going to buy these Disney and Fox titles and is the pricing affecting the number of those BRD you will purchase?

Crawdaddy

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I will still buy at that price point provided I can find at deep discount but I will be more selective and wait for reviews rather than pre-order. On HD DVD, I also avoid the pricy dual discs. The Disney and Fox pricing will also likely slow the sale of BD players beyond early adopters.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
I never bought dvd for MSRP, always online for much lower price, or I found always some discount... and I can see same with HD-DVD or BLU-RAY....

Marek

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm buying a few of the Fox titles with Amazon prime, cutting down on the costs a bit. As long as I can get them for a reasonable discount off of the MSRP, I'll be happy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What is reasonable? The preorder price for "Speed" BRD from Amazon was $25.15 versus a Warner HD DVD or BRD for $17.95 which is a $7.20 difference. Is that reasonable enough?

Crawdaddy

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Probably around the same time SHD or UHD or whatever-the-hell they decide to call the next gen format. ;)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Well, I picked up the Disney titles for $29.99 at CC this past week, "normal" pricing.

And the BD50 version of "Superman Returns" is MSRP $5 less than the competition.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Good for you, but I'm not spending 29.99 for a BRD, especially based on those mediocre titles.

Also, Superman Returns is a Warner title so it has little to do with my beef with Disney and Fox pricing.

Crawdaddy

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

But since the discounts are mark-downs from MSRP, the Fox and Disney discs will still be more expensive at a given discount than those from other studios. So you're kinda missing the point of the thread, which is about the relative cost of BD discs from different studio. It makes the most sense to discuss this in terms of MSRP because that is a constant, whereas discounts vary from store to store and sale to sale. (Just as it makes sense to discuss vehicle mileage in terms or EPA ratings. No vehicle actually gets the EPA numbers, but since they're all measured and rated the same way, they are useful for comparison. A car EPA rated at 32 mpg highway is going to get better gas miileage than one rated at 21 mpg - even if the actual numbers given the way you use a car would be 27 mpg and 19 mpg. A $35 or $40 DVD is going to have a higher street price even after a discount is applied than a $30 DVD will.)

I seriously doubt that anyone on this forum pays full retail for any DVD, on-line or in a brick and mortar store, since virtually all retailers of any size offer some kind of discount and HTF members are particularly savvy shoppers. (And I'm pretty sure that Circuit City in store beat the best prices I saw on the 'web for the recent Star Wars release. :))

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks