Disney, Anchor Bay, or Paramount -- definitive THE BOY IN THE PLASTIC BUBBLE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Edward Heuck, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

For too long this touching, groundbreaking, and starmaking TV movie has been offered by less-than-reputable companies on DVD in UNLICENSED, horrible-looking transfers. I'm unsure whether this film would be owned by Paramount (under the Spelling-Goldberg assets of Republic) or Disney (as an ABC broadcast), but I would love to have this on DVD clean and fresh as it was first aired. And if it is a Disney property, it should be licensed out to Anchor Bay as other Disney/ABC TV movies have been (CURSE OF THE BLACK WIDOW, THE NIGHT STALKER), and Randal Kleiser should contribute a commentary track, let him talk about working with John Travolta and how this experience was preparation for their reteaming in GREASE.

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

In fact, now that I think about it, classic TV movies are the last great untapped reservoir for DVD. Of course they are going to have to wait behind getting classic theatricals and complete TV show boxes on the market, but there are many classic, well-made TV movies of the '70's and '80's that are little seen today in syndication or cable, and whose direction and craftsmanship trounces modern made-for-TV movies and even some theatricals. And as such, they should be made available again. In the Paramount vaults alone, accounting for the Spelling-Goldberg, Worldvision, Viacom, and Republic assets, are:

COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN JIMMY DEAN

DAWN: PORTRAIT OF A TEENAGE RUNAWAY

ALEXANDER: THE OTHER SIDE OF DAWN

SATAN'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS (original version)

THE NIGHT THAT PANICKED AMERICA

THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER

THE LEGEND OF LIZZIE BORDEN

RETURN TO MAYBERRY