Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My New Years resolution is to buy more streaming digital than discs.

I recently bought the entire Bond series for $99 on iTunes.

I have just run out of room for discs.

However, that resolution comes with guidelines...

The streaming purchases will be mostly catalog titles

I will continue buying new blockbuster titles that have Atmos tracks (usually not available on steams)d

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
My New Years resolution is to buy more streaming digital than discs.

I recently bought the entire Bond series for $99 on iTunes.

I have just run out of room for discs.

However, that resolution comes with guidelines...

The streaming purchases will be mostly catalog titles

I will continue buying new blockbuster titles that have Atmos tracks (usually not available on steams)d
I am already buying more streaming than discs, both with catalog titles and new releases. I start considering a digital purchase once a 4K title falls to $10 or less before the 4K/UHD disc falls to under $18, or a HD title falls to $5 or less.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am already buying more streaming than discs, both with catalog titles and new releases. I start considering a digital purchase once a 4K title falls to $10 or less before the 4K/UHD disc falls to under $18, or a HD title falls to $5 or less.

Scott,

What is the difference in price between a new streaming 4k release vs. disc?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Most 4K on iTunes usually fall to $9.99 a month or so after its release date. It’s a much longer timeline for 4K discs to even get to $19.99.

That's great news! So, with a slight wait, I will be paying $10 less for a digital copy over the disc.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
That's great news! So, with a slight wait, I will be paying $10 less for a digital copy over the disc.
Since this is a Disney thread, one thing you have to remember about iTunes is that no Disney title is available in 4K on iTunes. The reason being is Disney and Apple are in dispute about Apple's policy of free 4K upgrade whenever you redeem or purchase a HD Digital title on iTunes that later becomes available in 4K. Furthermore, Disney Digital titles in general don't discount as low as the other studios. Usually the lowest pricing is $14.99 with some exceptions. That's on both Vudu and iTunes. Again, no 4K Disney titles available on iTunes, but are so on Vudu because Vudu doesn't have that free 4K upgrade.

Disney because of supply and demand has us between a rock and a hard place when it comes to 4K. The Disney 4K movies that are favorite films of mine I usually buy on 4K disc at around $20-22 sale price. The Disney 4K movies that I just like which are in 4K, I'm going to stream on Disney+ whenever they become available on that service since I have a three year subscription. I don't think I ever bought a Disney 4K Digital as they don't discount much. Perhaps, $19.99 on Vudu, but that's it. If that's the case I'll just stream it on Disney+ or buy the damn 4K disc.

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Scott,

What is the difference in price between a new streaming 4k release vs. disc?
Just to expand on @Robert Crawford 's replies, while a streaming 4K release will usually be $19.99 at release (versus $29.99 for a UHD disc), the price on the digital version will drop a lot quicker than the disc. A wait of a month or two will usually get the price under $10 -- and sometimes a little more patience will get you to $5 - $7. Meanwhile, the UHD disc will quite likely still be over $20, unless it's during the holiday sales season. That's why I wait to buy most of my discs around the Thanksgiving sales.

Since this is a Disney thread, one thing you have to remember about iTunes is that no Disney title is available in 4K on iTunes. The reason being is Disney and Apple are in dispute about Apple's policy of free 4K upgrade whenever you redeem or purchase a HD Digital title on iTunes that later becomes available in 4K. Furthermore, Disney Digital titles in general don't discount as low as the other studios. Usually the lowest pricing is $14.99 with some exceptions. That's on both Vudu and iTunes. Again, no 4K available on iTunes, but are so on Vudu because they don't have that free 4K upgrade.
This is the reason why I have yet to buy a digital version of any Disney title, and will just rely on the Disney+ subscription for these titles in 4K for the next three years that I have the subscription price paid for at under $4 per month. After that time, I will determine if the subscription is still worth it to me at whatever renewal price is available then. The only Disney films I have in my digital library are from discs that came with a digital code.

Disney's disc prices usually do not drop quickly, either. The only titles of theirs I own on UHD are some Marvel titles (plus the last Star Wars film and Toy Story 4) that were discounted during the Thanksgiving / Black Friday time frame the past couple of years. I am not planning on upgrading the catalog titles I already own on BD to UHD. I just am not going to pay Di$ney's normal prices.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
This is the reason why I have yet to buy a digital version of any Disney title, and will just rely on the Disney+ subscription for these titles in 4K for the next three years that I have the subscription price paid for at under $4 per month. After that time, I will determine if the subscription is still worth it to me at whatever renewal price is available then. The only Disney films I have in my digital library are from discs that came with a digital code.

Disney's disc prices usually do not drop quickly, either. The only titles of theirs I own on UHD are some Marvel titles that were discounted during the Thanksgiving / Black Friday time frame the past couple of years. I just am not going to pay Di$ney's normal prices.
Scott,

I have edited my previous post that touches on that exact point you're making about Disney 4K titles.:)

Reactions: Scott Merryfield

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I refuse to join the Disney Movie Club again as I do know many HTF members take advantage of that membership. For me, last year I took advantage of some Target "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" sales they had when it comes to Disney titles. The pricing isn't nearly as good as the Disney Movie Club, but it's good enough for me.

tns49

Agent
Real Name
Timothy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You didn't may it clear, are both version of Disney's Beauty and the Beast (Animated and Live) going to be March 10th?
I am *guessing* both will be released on the same date. I just copied the release information as it was originally conveyed.

mattCR

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt
I just wonder about the Pixar 4K titles. I even own a few. But these were, to my knowledge, originally rendered digitally in 2k. So, converting them to 4K makes me wonder if they were entirely re-computer rendered, or if this is just a pixel upsampling done. If it is just some sort of upsampling, I don't know how different these really are from what is already in the market.

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I just wonder about the Pixar 4K titles. I even own a few. But these were, to my knowledge, originally rendered digitally in 2k. So, converting them to 4K makes me wonder if they were entirely re-computer rendered, or if this is just a pixel upsampling done. If it is just some sort of upsampling, I don't know how different these really are from what is already in the market.
They're definitely upscales. There's just no way that Disney would go the trouble and expense of re-rendering these films in true 4K.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badritbneha