1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Disk defragmenter has been running for 24 hours!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy LaMont, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

I think it's probably resetting itself, but is it actually possible for my other computer to take that dang long to finish defragmenting?

It's a laptop running Win 98SE, 8 Gb hard drive.

I've tried searches under Google and Excite and Microsoft but I can't seem to find any answers.

I'm content to let it run it's course if it needs to, but this seems like hella long time!

Troy
    (I also posted this on the computer forum)

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

It's fine. Leave it be. It will finish eventually. If you get tired of it, stop it, use your laptop, and re-start it later. It will pick up (mostly) where it left off.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I used to have problems running defrag in Win 98SE. Boot into safe mode and defrag. You shouldn't have any problems.

4. Filipe Almeida Paz

Filipe Almeida Paz Auditioning

Hi!
    Usually this happens when you do not defragment your disk for a very long time. Once I had my computer running for almost three days but it eventually ended up.
    Just a "little" patience. [​IMG]
    Filipe

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

it is prolly doing this because everytime something is changed or accessed on your computer the defrag restarts. I never defrag because of this.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Disable Find Fast and any other program which reguarly accesses the HD. Unplug it from the network too

7. ryan_x

ryan_x Stunt Coordinator

the problem is you have problems running in the background...so it just keeps restarting without actually defragging....press ctrl-alt-delete and shutdown all prgrams except systray and explorer

8. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

9. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I wish Microsoft would get on the ball and adopt a "journaling" file-system that essentialy defrags it-self automaticaly during normal useage.
    For instance with BeOS, which had such a fs, you could do a physical file copy of a large file (e.g. between disc drives) and literaly pull the plug out of the wall and not only would it subsequently re-boot with no problems it, would also resume the file copy where it left off!
    Surley Micro$oft could buy this technology off someone [​IMG]

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It might help to run scandisk first, as it will eliminate most of defrag's restarts.

Glenn

12. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

13. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

NTFS /is/ a journaling file system. That doesn't mean that deframenting isn't neccesary though (despite some claims to the contrary!)

There isn't any magic way to make things not fragment; though a better file system can deal with it in a better way. The physical location of the data on the platter is rather built in problem you can't avoid (with a winchester drive.)

Why on earth the MS defragger doesn't insist on closing all your programs (and why it doesn't suspend findfast, especially) is beyond me.

14. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I don't think even Microsoft continues to deny that NTFS doesn't need defragging. Win 2K/XP includes a defragger which is a lightweight version of Diskeeper.

One thing about Windows 9x defrag: don't view the disk map. That slows it down. If your hard disk makes enough noise to hear the activity, you can hear an obvious speed increase when you close the disk map.

Better yet, get Norton. Speed Disk can defrag the swap file and directories, plus it has a strategy for moving frequently accessed files to the front of the disk, frequently modified files to the middle adjacent to free space, and infrequently accessed files at the very end.

But speaking of denial, the company that makes Diskeeper continues to insist that there's nothing to gain from strategically locating files on the disk.

15. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

16. Wayne Bundrick

I'm talking about consumer need for your specific example: a portable 1394 hard drive to move data between Windows and Macs and Linux.

Yeah businesses are running a mix of operating systems but they're not shuffling hard drives between them. Networking eliminated sneakernet a long time ago.

17. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

18. Wayne Bundrick

I've just learned that the latest version of Diskeeper adheres to Windows XP's Fastboot optimization (the prefetchlayout.ini file). It adheres by not moving the Fastboot files. Not only that, but Execsoft helped Microsoft develop the "defrag" portion of Fastboot that consolidates all the Fastboot files to a contiguous location.

That's almost a strategy, so it seems that Execsoft does recognize a glimmer of benefit to having one. But the next logical step is to put those Fastboot files at the "front" of the disk, which Diskeeper does not. Execsoft doesn't believe the front of the disk is faster. And Execsoft still doesn't see the advantage of keeping frequently modified files near freespace and infrequently modified files away from both frequently modified files and freespace.

19. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Once you are defragmented, you may consider configuring your computer to automatically run the program, say monthly.

I run Win98SE and found this thru Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Maintenance. Dont know how this applies to a laptop, however.

Still, it takes ~20 minutes.

20. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

A couple of things that may be causing problems are the amount of RAM and the amount of free space on the disk. If you have very little RAM, then the virtual memory could still be used a lot, causing excess drive activity, and if the drive is full, then defrag has a hard time juggling stuff to do its job. How is your system with regards to these issues?