dishwasher won't drain

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DannyL, Jun 3, 2002.

1. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

the drain on my dishwasher is backed up and water is pooling on the bottom. i've tried running the garbage disposal, but it's still plugged. any suggestions before i call a plumber. thanks.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Have you tried to remove the drain grate in the dishwasher and take a look inside?
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Plus, those hoses on those things are a mile long.. check to make sure there isn't a kink or a hump that the water is having trouble getting over.

4. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

Make sure your airerator (sp?) isn't blocked.

Todd B

5. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Todd has the most likely culprit. What he is talking about is that thing that sits next to your faucet on the sink that makes gurgling sounds when your dishwasher is draining. If this is blocked, then no air is getting through allowing the dishwasher to drain properly. This can easily clog because under the cover, which just pulls straight up or may have a couple threads and need a turn, is a "U" shaped copper tube.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    ...or you can do like it did and install a new garbage disposal and forget to knock out that little plug where the dishwasher drain hose connects to the disposal. It's quite fun when the dishwasher drains for the first time and the water comes up thru the aerator.:b
    Yeah, I'm not a plumber.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze Stunt Coordinator

I did the same thing Ron did. I put a new garbage disposal in, and failed to knock out the plug in the connection for the dishwasher hose. I never would have discovered my error, except that a friend at work was having the same problem. He called a plumber to diagnose his problem. I got the advice from him for free[​IMG] Since then I have successfully passed on the information to two other not-so-plumberish people.