Dishwasher problems....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ToddJ, Feb 22, 2005.

1. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

I am having some problems with my dishwasher...It seems that it puts that milky, powdery residue on all the dishes. However, when I try to clean them, it keeps showing up....it is an almost powdery substance.what might be causing this? I read somewhere that vinegar might help to get the stuff off the glasses, but I am not sure what is causing it...could it be something that is plugged up in the drain?

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

This "staining" (kinda like a milky frosting) usually occurs over time, especially on clear glass where it simply shows up the worse. It is typically the result of many washings with dishwasher products that do not rinse totally. After it begins, there isn't much you can do about it.
    Some dishwasher products now have rinse aids built in and there are some seperate rinse aids available also that will help delay this staining, but it won't help those glasses that already have the problem.

3. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

I know that is usually the case, but this happened suddenly. There is a powder that is on it too. It even happens when I run the dishwasher without any detergent.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Wierd. It might be old detergent or food stuck in the drain line and backing up into the washer. Check the drain hose for kinks or clogs. Is it connected to a disposal? Does it run through an air-gap on top of the sink?

What kind of water do you have? Municipal? Well?

5. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

Todd,

How is the water pressure in the house? Has there been a change lately?

6. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

I am not sure if it is connected to a disposal.....it is in an apartment so I am not sure how everything is connected. It is municipal water though. I don't beliee there has been a change in water pressure.......

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

There's a possibility that something is deteriorating and/or there's something trapped.
    I'd begin with thoroughly cleaning the filters and sometimes that also involves unscrewing a cover to get a look at matters on the bottom. Also examine the arms where the water comes out to ensure that nothing has lodged there. Removal might be as simple as picking it out but sometimes you need to pull the rotating arm out and get at it with a hose.
    After that, run a few cycles with no dishes. Try the following sequence.
    1) Bleach + a 1/2 cup of washing soda (sodium carbonate...not sodium bicarbonate)
    2) 1/4 cup of OxyClean or equivalent + 1/2 cup washing soda(great for getting stains out!)
    3) A cup of CLR (great for getting rid of hard water deposits)
    4) A cup of vinegar.

As others have mentioned, use rinse aids (damn, but they're overpriced for what they are!) and dishwashing liquids or powders with rinse aids built in.

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

THAT is STRANGE! Beyond the usual culprits and since it happens even with only a water wash, it must be in the water itself. Municipalities (or their suppliers) typically use "agents" to treat the water for hardness or other things. A call to them may get you some answers but probably not as most will not admit they do ANYTHING to the water. Having been in the chemical business for several years, I definitely know different.
    I once had an account (General Motors) in Texas who treated their in-house water based on a simple acidity/alkali test.......they got me involved in a problem one day and the first thing I found was that they were using a Taylor Slide Testing kit that didn't have the range to accurately show acid/base. Go figure.
    Does the staining reduce or disappear with hand washing? Or with a wipe down with white vinegar?

9. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

In the city where I live, the calcium and lime(IIRC)levels in the water are too high. Many have had their service lines, and indoor pipes in some cases, clogged with a hard, white buildup. It's killed water pressure and caused problems like those you've experienced.

10. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

i got it fixed! I put some CLR in there and it seemed to work...then I put some vinegar in a couple of cycles to clean off the glasses...thanks for the help!

11. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Try getting some Jet-Dry to keep your water soft.

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

That's not the way the product works.