What's new

DishPVR 501 Promo $199 for existing customers (1 Viewer)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Hello,
They just announced that starting August 13th, ie in one week, existing Dish Network customers can get a DishPVR 501 for $199 by committing to a year's programming (of AT150 if I remember correctly) and committing to paying your bill monthly with "credit-card autopay" (where you give them your credit card number and they automatically debit your credit card every month on the due date).
This is no doubt in response to constant complaints that "new customers get all the deals, but us loyal existing customer never get a deal". :)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
So Ken,
Would you just disregard your old receiver or trade it in? Is the PVR DD? I suspect so. Thanks for the info.
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Todd,
The PVR501 records and plays back Dolby Digital (when available).
-Robert
[Edited last by Robert_J on August 07, 2001 at 07:49 AM]

Jason X

Auditioning
Too bad us loyal customers that already bought the 501 still are getting the shaft.

Does the PVR 501 have the local channel integration like the Dish 5000 unit? I have read on DBSforum a lot of bugs in the 501. Do you all think the bugs have been cleared up with the new software update?

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
From watching the Dish Technical chat this past Monday, I would really wait for the Dish 721 PVR coming out by the end of the year instead of jumping on the 501 band wagon now. The 721 unit has a much greater capability and an 80 GB hard drive as opposed to the 40GB drive in the 501. There are also a lot of other features (including a cool new "TiVo" look to the unit). Of course...getting in on the current upgrade deal will get a PVR into one's home for a cheap price. A similar deal might not be offered when the 721 is released.
Of course....after the 721.....there will be a 921 smilar model which will be a PVR for High Definition programming.
Just my opinion.
------------------
Regards,
Brian W. Ralston
"Success is a journey, not a destination." - Unknown

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Guess What! I just bought a 501 unit 2 weeks ago. I called Dish to ask for a rebait (since the price dropped within 30 days) and the answer was "Sorry", we are not going to do that.
I spoke to a Supervisor (David) in customer service and he reponded with a story about buying a Compaq computer with a 1 Gig hard drive and then having the price drop...etc, etc. Since he did not get a rebait when the price dropped, I dont get one.
You should know that I pay over $120 per month to Dish for Service and Sat internet services. But I dont rate this consideration. "We've got your money. Tough" seems to be the attitude.
Although I like the technology Dish offers, their business practices leave a lot to be desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks