DishNetwork PVR (aka The quest is over)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Mar 22, 1999
    Thanks to all who have assisted me in my barrage of DBS questions... I wound up settling on a DishPVR 501 system with the digital 150 home plan, $50/month lease including the $40/month AT150 program. Figures to be a $10 lease. I originally wanted to go for the Free Home plan but that didn't include the second receiver which I didn't realize.
    Anyway, now that I got a better machine than I originally intended, I had no intention of getting a digital recorder but hey, now I have another toy to play with. Can one copy the digital data onto a VCR? Or does one have to record the program on the VCR as usual? My gut reaction is that you can't and basing that on legal grounds but I have not seen the unit yet and didn't ask the Dish people. Getting it installed on monday!
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    If the PVR501 is similar to the DishPlayer, here is the scoop:
    You dont need a digital recorder. You have one.
    To archive stuff off, you need a VCR. The DishPlayer/PVR offers both composite (single video cable) and SVideo output. So to get the BEST possible video, you must have a SVHS vcr and feed it from the SVideo output.
    As far as I know there is no way to pull the hard drive and copy off the file of a favorite show and then burn it to a CD/DVD. It is stored in some funny format. Plus you would have to literally pull the hard drive and install it in another computer to access the files. Bummer I know.
    But I think you will really enjoy the built-in recording capability. 30 hours is a lot of space.
    And you can set timers that will trigger your VCR to start recording instead of writing to the internal hard drive.
    You can try to find a discontinued JVC DVHS recorder that has a built-in Dish receiver. The problem is: they are hard to find and you can only play back the tapes on that unit.