DishNetwork deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Christ, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Todd Christ

Todd Christ Stunt Coordinator

ok - so i think i may have found a winner, let me know what you guys think...

the family went to Costco today, and we found the DishNetwork dude near the front of the store... as you know, i'm looking to either reduce my costs or get better service for the $50 that I spend each month on Cable service (that I currently only use on 1 TV)...

The Costco deal is this, 2 Recievers (the Dish501-PVR and a Dish 301), 2 remotes, the Top100 channel pack, and the Dual-LNB Dish...

all installed, plus first month included for $29.99!

i realize that i don't "own" the equipment, but is this decent stuff? also, the PVR (Tivo-like recorder) seems to add $10/month to the cost - i BARELY use my VCR for recording today (mostly for kids-tapes playback), do i really need this option?

what do you guys/gals think? has anyone ordered this package?

2. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Auditioning

Todd,
    Sounds like a pretty good deal with a few concerns.
    My advise to you would be to go to the DishNetwork Website (URL below) and take a look at what the promotions are there. I would then take it back to the "DishNetwork Dude" at Costco and ask him if his is the most current offer.
    If you want your locals, it's going to cost you $4.95 more per month if they're offered in your area. Depending on the locals offered in your area, UPN usually is not on the locals package ( it's not in the Portland Or. market). If you really need UPN (not in my house) this may cost you about $5.00 more for the "Superstation" package. That will give you the UPN and the WB [​IMG]
    If they truely are offering the PVR 501, I would also suggest going to the newsgroup alt.dbs.echostar and check out some of the problems folks are having with that particular machine.
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...te/index.shtml
    Hope this helps,
    JD[​IMG]

3. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

If you've already subscribed to a locals net, then adding Superstations only costs $3 more (Superstations are only $5 when purchased without locals). If you only want to add UPN or WB (not both), then you can buy just one Superstation for $1.50 (WSBK has the best PQ of the UPNs; all the WBs are equal in PQ, so get KTLA since it's in your time zone).

Still, the need for Superstations may be non-existant come January 1st, when WB and UPN will be carried in most locals net areas that have an affiliate due to must-carry rules going into effect.

Any current problems with the PVR 501 shouldn't concern you. Yes, it's not perfect, but it is still hands down the best PVR choice for a Dish Network subscriber.

-Lyle J.P.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Todd: Get it!

The recording feature should not cost you extra with the 501. With the now-replaced DishPlayer, there was a $10/month cost to record, but this has gone away with the 501.

Of all my HT toys, the recording DSS receiver is the ONLY one my wife admits is "cool". The ability to pause/rewind live broadcasts will change the way you watch TV.

You should note that I paid $350 for just the 501 receiver and I am happy with money spent. For the $30, they are giving you the equipment. It's well worth it.

5. Todd Christ

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I took advantage of this "lease" plan back in July except I got the AT150 plan for $50/month, no locals. it comes with the 501 and 301 as you mention. My total cost is about $55 and some change due to the $5 extra receiver surcharge you get for multiple receivers. It is a decent plan, especially for those of you who upgrade alot, you don't have to worry about selling off equipment. There is no "residual" or anything like that like a car lease so if you do actually want to stop leasing yet keep the 501, you'd basically have to purchase a new one.

There's new software rolling out now, P135 which includes the much awaited 9-day guide.. Yes!!!!

Jay

7. Al Glasser

Al Glasser Auditioning

If you have or are getting a HDTV, be very careful. I recently got a new Pioneer 64" and found the compression is now so bad on DISH (and probably Directv as well)I couldn't stand all of the shadowing, color splotches, etc.

I had a 50" 4:3 tv before and it wasn't as noticeable. I understand the line doubling of the RPTV enhances these artifacts.

I then got the cable co. (TW) to come out and install their digital service ( although the first 77 channels are analog). I found the cable service to be much better and have now quit DISH.

I was an early adopter of DISH and am upset how the picture has gone down hill so much.

Al

8. Todd Christ

i've heard the compression issues as well, i've also heard that 2 more satellites are being put up to quell the bandwidth issues during the first quarter of 2002... maybe it will get better?