What's new

DishNet Local Channel Picture quality (1 Viewer)

Greetings,
I am a former DirecTV customer, and switched to the DishNetwork last year because in order to obtain the local channels through DirecTv, I would have had to purchase a new DirecTV Plus system (I'm in Pittsburgh, PA).
I've noticed that during Football game broadcasts on the local channels, that the signal is extremely pixilated and the players appear to have almost a "halo" like appearance around them. Watching the games actually becomes annoying.
I called Dish Network about the problem and the tech informed me that this is unfortunately normal for local signals and is noticed more during fast moving sporting events. Being a former NFL Ticket subscriber, I was extremely disappointed.
My 1 year contract with Dish network is up next month. I have been seriously considering switching back to DirecTV and buying the plus system just so that I can watch the football games clearly. Personally, I believe that Dish Networks customer service is much better than DirecTV. I also think that I am one of the exceptions to this forum as I believe the DirecTV picture was a little crisper than my current Dish Network Picture. However, I've been very satisfied with Dish as well.
I'm using the 4900 (I believe) receiver that supports Dolby and OpenTV connected via S-Video to a Toshiba 50" rear projection tv. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any local channels broadcast on DirecTV to compare.
I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problems??
Thanks in advance!
Mark

Adrian_N

Agent
I rarely read this DBS forums, but I read your topic and was interested. I have never had this problem as a Dish subscriber. We watch local stations often, the pictures are clearer then anything I received from AT&T cable.

Thanks for your reply. The picture isn't too bad during "regular" TV shows. It appears to only occur when there is rapid movement such as a Hockey game, or Football game.

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind that locals via the dish are digitized, which means they are compressed, which always means a poorer picture than you would get via OTA reception.
Some TV's (depending on whether they are line doubled or not) will show the compression effects more than others.
Can you not pickup your locals with an outdoor antenna?

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the Denver local channels for about a year now and have never had the problem you describe. I watch very little sports programming but have never noticed the symptoms you describe on any of the other "action" type programming. I'd give them a call back and speak to a different tech.
Good luck.
Jerry
------------------

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I find this topic most timely cause I just got my Dish installed yesterday. I didn't watch the locals until today, and I noticed that there was some compression artifacts while watching The Saint. Then again, I was watching this through the Tivo, so that may have interfered. All in all I would say the locals are similar to what I had with AT&T digital cable (which I don't believe was digital for the locals) and many of the other cable networks are far superior to the cable. I think Timmy is probably correct, more than likely they are using an automated digitization(is that a word?) process which may make some things look worse than others. I noticed no problems while watching Futurama and The Simpsons, even with the Tivo in the way.

Unfortunately, I've tried numerous Antennas (3 or 4 including the expensive Terk Models). I'm located in a Valley, so the reception is very poor. I can get one local NBC feed fairly decent, but the other local Fox, and CBS feeds are very bad. I can't even pull in ABC at all (No Monday Night football
frown.gif
. I'm going to try another receiver. I've noticed some heavy compression while watching programs on TVLand as well. If the other receiver doesn't improve, I'm definitely switching back to DirecTV. I'll keep my dish network equipment in the event that I decide to switch back, but I definitely can't deal with watching football on the DishNet's local feeds. However, the ESPN games were fine.
Thanks to everyone for posting.

Dale Rabeneck

Auditioning
Mark,
I'm a Pittsburgher also.
Sorry to hear about your poor experience. Interesting that I just this weekend switched from AT&T Cable to DISH because of the lousy feeds on cable. So far (approx 5 days into it) we are extremely satisfied with the quality of the local broadcasts.
I decided not to go with DirecTV because I wanted the HD tuner and the 6000 was much better priced.
Good luck with DirecTV.
------------------
----------------
Dale Rabeneck
[email protected]

Thanks Dale. I was also a TCI/ATT Digital Cable subscriber and hated it. TCI had bad customer service, but when it went to AT&T it took a turn for the worse. After I cancelled my Digital Cable, I continued to be billed for it as I still kept a lifeline once I went to DirecTV (DirecTv didn't offer Pittsburgh locals then). After calling 3 different times, I finally was able to get the bill straightened out. I'm definitely hooked on Satellite for life. I just found out today that my Dish Network subscription is up in August. Wal-mart is selling the Directv Plus Entry systems for $99.00 and it doesn't matter if you were a previous subscriber or not. I still have my old Dolby DSS (Non Plus) receiver so I'm going to switch back next month. You'll have to let me know what the football feeds look like via the local channels. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread