What's new

Dish301 Event Timer VCR recording problem.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I was setting up my father's Dish Network system consisting of
Hitachi 53 UDX series RPTV
Dish 301
Cheap JVC VCR
I bought the S-video cable, borrowed some composite cables for audio and hooked up the system as follows:
Dish301, connected to TV via S-video and RCA audio to Video 1
Dish301 connected via RF to VCR then from VCR to Ant A on Hitachi
Connect RCA video/audio from VCR to Video 2 on Hitachi.
Dish301 and VCR set to use Channel 3.
OK, my problem is that I can seem to record when sellecting Ant A and on Channel 3 when watching a dish program but I can't get the event timer to record video, I get static and white noise. I set the IR Blaster fine, the test works and the actual recording event works but when I go view the event, I get static and white noise?
Is there something else I need to check on the 301 or the VCR? The VCR is left on cause the IR blaster cannot turn the VCR on as per the manual and the tape is rewound and fine otherwise. There must be something stupid I'm missing or the Dish perhaps defaults to sending out the video/audio only on the S-video outputs and not both the RF and S-video so I'm not getting the feed from the 301.
However, I have the RF hookup going to my VCR and then to my TV as per the usual wiring diagram..
Jay

Ryan Ab

Grip
Can you tape a dish program on the vcr manually, without using the dish timer? Can you watch the dish on the tv on the tv's channel 3 when passing it thru the vcr? If you can then, I'm lost.

I have my dish's s-video going to the tv and the rca video going to my vcr. So I wouldn't think it would confuse the reciever, I think all video outs on it are always on. I don't like the auto dish timer much. I've moved my it and my vcr around trying to get a good beam, but its always touch and go, so until I get a pvr I still program my vcr.

--Ryan

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yes, my father was using the RF on channel 3 before I bought an S-video cable and hooked that up. To him the UDX Hitachi series is a waste since he's not the type who really needs a digital set but the Sears was out of the SDX series and they offered him a great price on the UDX line so what the hey, he bought that one.

Anyway, yeah, I can watch the Dish fine using Channel 3 and can record it while watching it on ant 3, but it doesn't seem to work with the event timer...

I'm gonna play with mine, except I don't even hook up the RF to my VCR since I have a 501 and it has the PVR function on it... but i do have a 301 in another room, I'll drag my VCR over there and hook things up...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks