1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dish web purchase/promo questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_R, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Mark_R

Mark_R Agent

I have recently moved, and not wanting to do cable I have decided to do Dish. The setup I am considering is 6023/4900 combo (6000 & 4900 receivers, 1x20" & 1x18" dish both with dual LNBFs, SW21 switch, and install kit). The plan is to be ready for HDTV at some point in the future, and also to be able to watch either/both receivers from any room.
    Questions:
    If I put both receivers in main room, and then wire from there to the other rooms; will this work acceptably?
    Are there any distance constraints from where the dishes are located to the receivers? If I use the cable outputs from the receiver to the other rooms; are there any distance constraints?
    Can the cable outputs and other outputs from the receiver be used at the same time (same channel of course)?
    Does the 4900 receiver's remote work from any room or is it just line of sight?
    It seems the best prices for getting Dish Hardware is from the web. Is this recommended? Or should one avoid web retailers? The best prices I've found on the web so far are from Satellite Depot. Has anyone used them before or know their reputation?
    Can one still get the I Like Nine promotion if one follows the install instructions and does a self install?
    I read somewhere about a PVR 721 supposedly to be release soon. Is this something I should wait for? Anyone know if it will be HD compatible, and if so if it will record in HD? Would getting this one receiver eliminate the need for having two receivers? It seems upgrading equipment without the first time subscriber promotions is quite expensive, and if this is going to be a 'must have' piece of equipment I might be better off waiting... (thoughts? comments?)

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    1. I had mine wired this way before I moved into an apartment. I used a channel modulator to accomplish this. I also modulated a DVD player and VCR.
    2. 100 is a good but with high quality cable and/or an amplifier, you can go up to 150 to 200 feet.
    3. Yes. The only exception is when the 6000 is in HD mode. All SD outputs are turned off.
    4. According to Dish's web site it is UHF and IR. It will work from other rooms.
    5. I used Satellite One for a Dishplayer about a year ago. I used Dish Depot for my 6000 system at the same time. I would recommend Dish Depot again.
    6. Not sure.
    7. Not HD compatible. It is more like UltimateTV since it has dual tuners. Since it's not HD, you may want two receivers anyway.
    -Robert

3. Mark_R

Mark_R Agent

Thank you for the quick response and insight. It was helpful.