DISH Tive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelGomez, Mar 18, 2002.

1. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

Anyone using the Dish network Tivo player? How is it, etc.

2. DonWinzen

DonWinzen Stunt Coordinator

It is Tivo like but it isn't Tivo; it is a Dish PVR501

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Michael- I have the Dish PVR501, and I very much enjoy it. It's great being able to record a program on commercial television and then rapidly skip over the commercials. Its recording quality is excellent, as the image and audio quality are indistinguishable from the "live" show. It doesn't have quite as many features as a Tivo (search functions, etc), and there are some occasional glitches, but overall it's MUCH better than a VCR. And being able to watch one prerecorded program while simultaneously recording another is quite nice too.

Enjoy!

Steve K.

4. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I also have the 501. I used to own a Philips Tivo stand alone unit as well.

The Tivo had a much better interface, especially the "search" function. The 501's quality is better, but I still notice significant degradation on my tv. I did not notice the loss of quality on my 36" tv, but it is apparent on my 58" set.

Dish is coming out with a two tuner model, so you can record two channels at once or watch one while you record another. Also, I believe they are working on a HD version.

All in all, PVR (personal video recorder) or TIVO is a "must have" in any home theater!