DISH SW64 Multiswitch vs. SW44 + SW21's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RAF, Aug 6, 2001.

1. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Could someone clarify something for my 4 receiver (6000, 501, 301 and 301) 2 Dish (500 & 300) installation?
    I planned to use an SW64 multiswitch to provide me with access to all stations on all three satellites (61.5, 110 & 119) on all four receivers. I'm being told that the SW64 is hard to get and that an installation with an SW44 and a bunch of SW21's (all mounted on a panel inside the garage) will do exactly the same thing.
    I've already been told (and it seems logical on a theorectical level) that digital signals don't get affected by signal loss via multiple splitting (like analog cable does with splitters). However, am I being sold a bill of goods when I'm told that the SW44 + SW21's will do the same job as an SW64? Is there any advantage of the SW64 over the SW44 that I should be aware of that makes it the better choice for a better solution?
    And is the SW64 in short supply or should I look elsewhere to get one of these units?
    Thanks in advance.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    With an SW44 + SW21's you will only get access to all three satellites on two of your receivers because the Dish300 only has two outputs. The other two receivers will see the 110/119 signals only. You can add a 2x4 generic mutliswitch to your Dish300 to give it four outputs so you can cascade four SW21's. That's six switches total.
    It looks like www.dishdept.com has SW64's in stock for $139. The SW44's are $119 and the SW21's are $20. It's cheaper to get the SW64. If they don't have one try one of the other retailers at http://www.dbsforums.com/retailer.asp .
    -Robert

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Robert_J,
    Thanks for the feedback. You have confirmed what I thought. The SW64 is not only the cheapest way, but the most elegant way to go for my particular installation. And it appears that the SW64 is not difficult to get. My installer insists that he wants to use a combination of switches and that everything will work just as well.
    I'm of the opinion that if he doesn't do it the way I want him to I'll find another installer. I don't need a rat's nest of wires if there is a better way and the SW64 clearly appears to be the better way.
    For my own information, is there any place I can find a diagram that shows how a Dish 500 and a Dish 300 are connected using an SW44, a 2x4 generic multiswitch and four SW21's cascaded to accomplish the same thing as an SW64? Not that I want to proceed this way - I just want to know what the wiring configuration is so that I can see what a nightmare it would be.
    Thanks.
    ------------------
    RAF
    ["PITA" since 1942]

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    My explanation is technically possible but I don't know why anyone would try it. I don't think there is any diagram of it.
    Dish has a new switch coming out that would only require three wires into the house and one switch to connect all four of your receivers. Check out the "Advanced Install" jpeg on the following link. Also look at the new 721 receiver. Dual tuner, internet access and 70 hours of recording. It was discussed in the Dish tech chat last night and will be out before the end of the year.
    -Robert
    http://www.pbase.com/rking401/sbca_shots

5. Eram Syed

Eram Syed Extra

Robert
    Do you know if the new switch will still require a dish 500 w/ dual LNBs or will it also work with twin LNB.
    I have a dish 500 twin + dual LNB on dish 300 and 3 receivers. Right now two receivers get the dish 500 output and 1 gets the dish 300.
    I don't want to buy the dual LNB for $200 + SW64 for $140.
    Thanks
    ------------------
    Eram
    ---------------------
    TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish 6000 + 8VSB, PVR 501, Dish 301, Receiver=Marantz SR5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

quote: My explanation is technically possible but I don't know why anyone would try it. I don't think there is any diagram of it.[/quote]
    Robert_J,
    Thanks. I understand. No big deal. I think I can figure it out, and I was only curious, not looking for a schematic that would be used.
    quote:
    Dish has a new switch coming out that would only require three wires into the house and one switch to connect all four of your receivers. Check out the "Advanced Install" jpeg on the following link. Also look at the new 721 receiver. Dual tuner, internet access and 70 hours of recording. It was discussed in the Dish tech chat last night and will be out before the end of the year.[/quote]
    Thanks for this additional information (and for the URL for the images.) The 721 looks like something that I might be interested in down the line a bit. The 70 hours recording time would be desirable. The 2nd tuner doesn't intrigue me as much since I'll already have a 6000 and a 501 in the HT. Do you happen to know Dish's policy on upgrades? I'll be "renting" the 501 as part of their PVR package and I thought that it was mentioned somewhere that Dish allows customers to upgrade their equipment for a modest fee. (Yes, I realize that the 721 would require two separate lines to use both of the tuners.)
    And the DP34 looks like an interesting new switch if I ever upgrade to beyond 4 receivers. I also see that it only requires three cables into it from the 500/300 dish combination. Am I correct in assuming that the new "DishPro" LNB's are designed so that you only need 1 cable per LNB rather than two? How do they accomplish that? Do they multiplex the 14 and 18 volt signals over a single line? And it also looks like to take advantage of the DP34 I would need Dish Pro LNBs, not the regular ones, right?
    Since I want to finish this installation in the next week or two (if all goes smoothly) I'm assuming that the DishPro equipment is not available at this time, but a great alternative for people installing DISHes later this fall. Do you know of any timetable on the DishPro stuff?
    All things considered, the SW64 looks like the perfect way for me to go at this time. And by using a 2" conduit and 6 cables I'll have the flexibility to make future equipment adjustments and upgrades.
    And thanks for pointing be toward DishDepot.com. I called them this morning and they said they could have an SW64 in my hands by early next week if my local DISH retailer can't get hold of one. I'm against the idea of multiple switches. The more connections the more potential trouble spots.
    Take care.
    ------------------
    RAF
    ["PITA" since 1942]

7. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you look closely at the diagram, they are calling the LNB's "Dishpro TWIN" and "Dishpro Single". I am assuming that this is a new LNB designed to work with the new switch. Where did you get the $200 price tag for dual LNB's? Dish Depot has them for $39 each.
    There are special LNB's that work with DirecTV for multi-dwelling installs. One dish can feed all of the units just like cable can. I think standard splitters can be used. It looks like Dish has made this technology "affordable" for a single install and will be switching to it. It doesn't help me now but I may look into it when it comes time to wire my new house.
    -Robert