Dish Receiver: 301 vs 6000???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Shields, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Greg Shields

Greg Shields Auditioning

I am getting Dish installed in 1 week and I went with the Dish 500 and 2 301 receivers..Digital 150 plan..with locals.
    I read somewhere where if I go with the 6000 receiver ALL channels will be in 1080i. Is this correct. In other words, will ALL channels be more clear. To be honest, I really don't watch HD stations, that is what Blockbuster and my DVD player are for.
    This will all be projected on my Toshiba 50HX81 to be delivered Tuesday..
    Greg

2. Jonathan Tuck

I have the 6000 and the 501. While indeed all channels are shown in 1080i when setting the 6000 to its HD mode - the only one's that look really good (to me) are the actual hd signals. The others are upconverted and look too soft for my taste. I watch 'regular' dish using the non-hd mode and only use the hd mode for hbo/showtime/cbs true hd programming. I have the tw40x81 and find the regular signal sent from the 6000/501 to the set is better than having the 6000 upconvert and use the colorstream inputs...

3. Greg Shields

Greg Shields Auditioning

thx for the input

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I have the 6000 receiver and watch all channels upconverted... not a problem. If you have a high def. tv then, by all means, get the 6000. Ya can't go wrong.
    - Chip
    ------------------

5. Darryn Macdonald

Darryn Macdonald Auditioning

Get the 6000 if you have a high def tv, but for the high def channels, not for the upconversion. By the way the upconverted signal looks worse than the original, it does not only look soft but in some cases (which can be noticed with text) is looks blurry. This problem gets worse if you zoom the standard def signal to make it widescreen.

6. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

Frank is right, I have the "home plan" w/ 2 301 and the 150 package. When I found out about the 6000 and 501 the local dealer wanted $400 each for the swap out. Can't wait for my "contract" to run out. DishNetwork said I'll have to wait 90 days to make a "deal" with them direct. At $65per mo. this is a total ripoff.
    Meaux