What's new

DISH receive updates, how? (1 Viewer)

Adrian_N

Agent
I'm curious about how "software" updates are done on DISH receivers. Are they automatically downloaded? Or do they occur only over the phone line? Must the receiver be on or off?

I'm curious because, at my previous house, I always left the receiver on. We moved and had the service on hold for a month. During installation in our new house with our original receiver, the installers had problems getting all of our channels. The problem was supposedly because of "old" software. Somehow they updated the software (manually through a call?). Now instead of the ugly green and grey appearance, it is now a dark blue and grey. There are some new options such as a PIP while displaying the guide.

How do I make sure I get the latest software updates? My parents/brother would like the new look and options. They have the same 3800 model receiver.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
To receive the upgrades, turn your DISH receiver off before you go to bed each night. There is also a prompt in the setup telling asking you if you'd like to receiver the downloads automatically or have the receiver ask for your permission before downloading.

Best of luck!

~~Nathan

Adrian_N

Agent
Thanks Nathan. That doesn't appear to work for my parents. Maybe I'm ahead of the game becuase of the installation? Anyone else get these updates on their 3800?

I would have to double check their update setup. I know mine is set for automatic (no permission required) updates. Thanks for the tip.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Try turning it off using the Power button on the receiver instead of the remote. Also, the updates come in over satellite not the phone line.

-Robert

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
And I believe the power button will Blink on and off while actually downloading... I noticed mine blinking one night and the next time I turned it on, I had P136 from P135 the last time I checked...

I had another crash the other day... The unit was on and I was trying to turn off the PVR so the PVR would turn off at the end of the recording so I tried to hurry up and turn off the PVR but just as the moment I hit the power off on the remote, the timer kicked in.. Then the whole screen went blank and I had to reset the machine to get it back up... Kind of a freak corner case but the 3rd time I had to reset (since July, 2001). No biggie..

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks