Second Unit
Got this offer in the mail. "Free satellite system" including:
* DishPVR501
* Second receiver (model not specified)
* Installation
* Lifetime in-home service (?)
* First month programming
Interesting: doesn't mention actual dish that goes on roof
I have been thinking about this for a while. HD is NOT an issue with me (I am years away), I just bought a new analog RPTV. Football packages are not a factor either.
Picture quality and customer service are most important to me - from what I remember reading, DISH is better in these 2 areas. The other important thing is a GUI that is user-friendly and not slow. How is the PVR501?
I have 1 week to decide. Thanks.
Rich B.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
It's a lease program. If you don't mind not actually owning the equipment than go for it. I signed up for one of those but canceled since I'd rather own the equipment myself. That way I can choose what receiver I want. If I want to upgrade I can. That's just the way I am. I hate leasing things.
Bill
------------------

Basil Kazepis

Auditioning
The way I look at it. If I lease something and dont own it, once I fulfill my requirements according to the lease which in the case of Dish is remain a subscriber for one year, they have all to lose and I have all to gain at the end of the lease term. They own the equipment, I dont so I have no monetary investment. I can again shop around, compare what offer Direct TV has or Digital Cable or whatever else there is. And take this to Dish and say "hey Dish network, if you want me to stay I would like to now lease the newer model PVR" or whatever else there is new that I might like. I bet you they would do it in order to keep me as a customer.
All that to say, when you buy you have something to lose, when you dont you have nothing to lose.
Basil

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Check the fine print. I'm not familiar with Dish's new lease program, but many if not most lease programs (for anything) require you to pay a lump sum at the end, and/or if you terminate before a specific amount of time is up - even if the merchandise is returned.
Check outwww.dishdepot.com for what it costs to purchse. Generally, the new customer incentives bring the cost of a system to virtually nil (but don't always include installation).
On your other questions, the DishPVR 501 is the best Dish receiver for the non-"HD" channels. Check out my comments in the thread in this forum entitled "Getting a Dish, what receiver to get?" for reasons why.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I bought my dish from_http://www.thesatelliteguy.com . The cost of the dish and the receiver was $50, shipping included. I did my own install that took about an hour. It was very easy and my signal strength about 110%. If you are the least bit handy then I would suggest you do it yourself.
I personally do not like leasing. If you have the same equipment for a couple of years, then you most likely bought the equipment a few times over. But then again, that's just me.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
although i agree with all of the dissenting arguments, the reasons why i am going with the rental are two fold:
1) Professional Installation: Dish Network will drill a hole in two different walls (one for each receiver). This is something that I would love to leave in the hands of a pro.
2) HDTV PVR--not due out until at least next year. I will wait to buy equipment until it is HDTV comlpliant.
Peace
Geordy
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks