Dish network

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike*Hunt, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Mike*Hunt

Mike*Hunt Auditioning

Called Dish Network today to upgrade my current sattlelite lease to include (or replace one of my existing receivers) with an HD-DVR receiver. I was told that leasing was not avaible to existing customers and it would have to be purchased. A receiver that will run two TV's with HDMI compatibility would be over $700 [​IMG] . He did tell me to wait until 02/01 because they were coming out with new options at that time. I always thought, and was told by my original salesman and installer, that leasing was the way to go because of the ease of upgrading, expanding and, if needed, repairs. I am now thinking of switching to DirectTV because for a new customer to there service I will get a better deal. Has anyone ever broke a Dish network lease, I am wondering if there are any charges for breaking the agreement. If this is the games they want to play, I'll play along [​IMG] I have been happy with Dish, so I hope in Feb. they will come up with a better deal than there current offering.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You will be charged a pro-rated fee for breaking your agreement and you will have to return your equipment. Some people have mentioned that they want the dish back as well. Get ready to climb up on the roof.

-Robert

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

4. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Never believe what a Dish CSR tells you. They are very often the last to know anything, and on many occasions have been known to give out completely false information. In your case it wasn't necessarily incorrect, just incomplete.

Check out the Dish Network section at www.satelliteguys.us for the latest on the evolving story. It's a pretty good site, with alot of people who are in-the-know, so to speak.

The short of it is: you do *NOT* want to get the currently available HD-DVR's (the DVR921 and DVR942), as they do not support MPEG4 decompression. The replacement for them is the ViP622, which is being release on 2/1, and is basically a 942 with MPEG4 support. MPEG4 compressed channels are slowly being rolled out, starting with the new HD channels, starting 2/1. As an existing non-HD customer you should be able to upgrade one of your receivers the 622 for $299 as of 2/1. If you wait longer, the deals may (or may not) get better, as they get more and more eager to migrate people to MPEG4 capable receivers. SD channels will probably stay MPEG2 for a number of years, simply because of the number of receivers to be swapped.

For reference, new (and existing, if you begged and pleaded enough to the right people) customers could get a DVR942 on lease for $250 for about the last year. The $700 you were quoted was to buy (and own) a 942 outright. Given the MPEG4 situation, it's market value will be down to around $0 very shortly, so that's not a very good deal. As I said, definately wait for the 622 if you're interested in an HD-DVR.

Oh, and no Dish (or Direct) receivers can run two HD TVs at the same time. A number of Dish models (322, 522, 942, and 622) support two independent TV's from one receiver, but the HD models (942 and 622) only have HD on the main TV output. The second output is usually just RF coax, composite, and S-video. You can watch HD programming on the TV2 outputs, but it is downconverted to 480i. On the TV1 output I'm not sure if both the component and HDMI/DVI outputs are even active at the same time, but it's possible.

Hope this helps,
    -- Dave

5. Mike*Hunt

Mike*Hunt Auditioning

Thanks for the information David, I did mention in my post that the customer rep. did tell me to hold off until 02/01 because they're going to have a new option available. There website said that HD receivers are leaseable, but when I put in my account # and password to see what upgrade options were available for my acccount it said HD receivers must be purchased by "existing Dish customers". I figure that if I at least give them the impression that I am going to switch companies they might be able to come up with a better deal.[​IMG] It sounds as though from the link given in prior post, thanks to Charlie, that Direct TV is going to only lease their equipment from now on out, as long as it is upgradeable at anytime, that sounds pretty good to me. But I'm waiting for 02/01 to see exactly what Dish has to offer for what terms. Thanks for all the input guys.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I too have been frustrated with Dish deals offered to NEW customers, while existing customers like myself cannot upgrade or take advantage of them. But I see this with DSL service, Cell Phone service, etc. The deals are to lure new customers. They seem to treat existing customers as intentured.

Check out the HD channels between Dish and DirectTV. I actually went with the $24/month cable TV offering because it includes all the major networks in HD, the PVR is included (8 hrs HD, 40 hrs standard), and no contract. Dish - has CBS and a bunch of left-over ZOOM channels in High Def, not worth it for the $699 receiver purchase (the price a few months ago).

When Dish gets more networks to sign up and starts leasing the equipment, I'll consider switching.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I too have been frustrated with Dish deals offered to NEW customers, while existing customers like myself cannot upgrade or take advantage of them. But I see this with DSL service, Cell Phone service, etc. The deals are to lure new customers. They seem to treat existing customers as intentured.

Check out the HD channels between Dish and DirectTV. I actually went with the $24/month cable TV offering because it includes all the major networks in HD, the PVR is included (8 hrs HD, 40 hrs standard), and no contract. Dish - has CBS and a bunch of left-over ZOOM channels in High Def, not worth it for the $699 receiver purchase (the price a few months ago).

When Dish gets more networks to sign up and starts leasing the equipment, I'll consider switching.

8. John S

John S Producer

I wish there was a cable package here in Denver that included HD.....

$54 for basic digital cable is the only official offering I can see that offers HD.

The $24 basic cable package give you nothing from comcast here in Denver. Even decent analog cable for any decent content / decent amount of content is way more per month.

Dish genuinely seemed cheaper, but as a new customer, I did get the HD for free. So many gimmicks going on, I actually have no idea what my bill will be though. I needed the regional sports coverage, that the special offer I took them up on did not include. So I think by adding it, I hosed myslf on the special offer. The girl on the phone said something about $36.95 per month, Top 60+Regional Sports coverage.

9. Mike*Hunt

Mike*Hunt Auditioning

I have no choice but to stick with sattlelite service, I live in the boondocks 20 miles away from the nearest home with cable access. Well, I guess I could put a large antenna on the roof for any local channels that could reach me. I know someone who is an installer for both Dish and DirecTV, so I guess I will contact him before long to see if he knows what my best option might be. I really don't feel like forking over $700 for a receiver that then might become obsolete in a year or two, that's why I decided to lease from Dish from the beginning.