Dish Network vs.Direct Tv.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Sep 4, 2001.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am getting Dish Network this week. But, I was curious to know the difference between Dish Network & Direct Tv? I know that Direct Tv has better sports options. But, I will be able to get MSG & Sports channel NY so I can watch my local teams. But, are their any other differences?

2. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

I went from a C-Band 10" dish to a DishNetwork system, (I moved from Houston to a hotshot neighborhood in Foley, Alabama, that dosen't allow C-Band) and my opinion of the DishNetwork system is it stinks, it dosen't work when it rains, sometimes it just dosen't work, on-off, on-off. I hate this thing, I ended up with 2, 301 recs., they didn't tell me that the 301 dosen't have VCR outputs which means I can't record in stereo, $65 a month! What a ripoff! The installer told me after 1 yr. I'd own the thing, he lied. When my contract is nearing it's end I'll have a C-Band 4DTV system up and runnin and the heck w/ the Homeowners Asso. Programming is double what I was paying, for the same channels.
    Meaux
    I'm gonna watch TV when it rains, Dangit!!!

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I switched from DirecTV to Dish over a year ago. I like it much better. I switched because there was more programming and it was cheaper. I also got in on the introductory price for the HD 6000 receiver. Granted, my Dishplayer has some bugs but I knew that going in.
    Meaux,
    It sounds like your dish isn't properly aligned. I've had rain fade twice in the past year and each time it lasted about 10 minutes. Also, the 301 does have a stereo output from it's RCA connections. If you need more connections, use either a "Y" adapter or a Radio Shack one in/four out composite amplifier.
    -Robert

4. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

Robert,
    Being out of alinment is what I think too, but I'll never get the yahoos that put this in to believe that. They tell me it's normal for this type of dish, and they don't like em either. If that's the kind of service I'm gonna get from these folks then the heck with it.
    I complained that when I switched from "dish" to "Ant." for local TV, I had to turn the 301 off, they said "well of course you do", I said "but what if I'm taping a movie off the dish?" "well, I don't guess you can".
    like talkin to the wall.......

5. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    Meaux,
    I would check the signal strength for your dish. If you are getting less than 80% then you need to re-align your dish. I have mine at 120% and have had about a 3 minute outtage 2 times in the last year due to heavy rain. Since your dish is mounted, it is easy to re-align it to get a better signal strength.
    The procedure is this.
    have someone at the tv and you up at the dish. Slightly change the horizontal setting until you get the highest strength. Once you have that set, then tighten up the horizontal setting.
    Now work with the vertical setting in the same manner.
    This should take about 15 mintues.
    Hope this helps.
    ------------------
    ------ Dave ------
    ------------------
    MY HT

6. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

My father gets a 104 to 106% signal on his newly installed DISH. He had an outage yesterday for about 5 minutes during one hell of a massive downpour. But once the rain slowed to normal levels, it came back.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman
    [Edited last by Matt_Stevens on September 07, 2001 at 08:37 AM]

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Frank,
    Actually, it is not too late. I can cancel up until they actually come to my house. I was more curious than anything. My father has Dish Network and loves it. My friend has Directtv and loves it. I was just curious to see what the main differences were between them.

8. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I wish I had my old radios from the C-Band days.....

9. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator

Well, I have had Dish for over a year with a Dishplayer as my main and a soon-to-be-upgraded 4700 in my bedroom. I absolutely love the system. Picture quality is quite good and I love all of the channel options that I have. Definately better than the crappy "digital" cable package option I have in town.
    My father has Directv and he also loves it. Picture quality is about the same on the channels that both Dish and Direct have direct digital feeds. Local channels and Superstations (on Dish if you qualify) can be of varying quality.
    That was my rather long winded explanation that basically boils down to you should be pretty happy with either system. Dish is a little less expensive per month and has more DD channels than Direct (at least the last time I checked), but they are both capable alternatives to cable. One other consideration is if you want out of market sports (NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB, NHL, etc.), than you should go with Direct. If that is not a major concern, than Dish will be fine IMHO.
    ------------------
    Christopher Cheadle
    Dayton, OH
    -------------------------
    "I gave my love a chicken that had no bone...MMMMM chicken."
    - Homer

10. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

I've had Dish for one year now and experienced a "brownout" once during the heaviest rain I've seen in Oregon in years. 10 minutes later when the shower subsided the programming was back without a hitch. I only wish I had gotten the model 6000 receiver since I now want to move to HDTV.

11. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

I have Direct and I love it....
    Went from having an antenna on the roof to a direcTv.... night and day. Just got a DirecTivo and have now duel tuner support built in. It's amazing. You're milage may vary. Sports arn't a big concern of minem but I sell DirecTv's at my job, so I got a good price.
    Look at the channels and look at the prices. Find what you'll watch and find who you have to pay the least to. I'd probably have tried dish as well, but I've got a BIG tree in the way.
    Jim
    ------------------
    [email protected]
    Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
    (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

12. Roy Kidd

Roy Kidd Auditioning

I have direct tv now including 3 receivers one is a DTC100. I would like to try Dish Network but due to the hardware investment I have not been able to justify it. I am not unhappy with them other then dish network offers Showtime in HD Direct TV does not they only offer HBO. Sorry I am a Stargate fan and have not cared for the political views of HBO when it comes to firearms. If Dish Network will replace my existing hardware I would switch in a heartbeat.