What's new

Dish Network & Sears Maintenance Plan (1 Viewer)

Stephen C

Grip
So we had the Dish system installed at the end of November. I never buy the extended warranty type plans -- but this three year contract, for $99, included an "annual preventative maintenance" offer in which they'll come out and, among other things, "fine tune the dish for optimal reception."

So, I was having pixelation problems. Switched cables, still had some problems, called them out. The guy started by saying he wasn't familiar with Dish - just Direct TV. His method for checking into the problem was to stand in front of the TV flipping channels for 10 minutes. And of course, the problem didn't reoccur while he was here.

I told him he was called out for two reasons -- to check the problem, and to do the annual maintenance check. He told me this was really all they did for the check -- if the picture looks good, it's fine. I showed him how to check signal strength on the TV and asked him what was considered good, and of course he told me that was good (I think it was around 88).

After he left, I looked at the contract and that's when I discovered the annual check is a little more comprehensive than he indicated. I called the Sears Maintenance Agreement folks and asked about this, and they transferred me to someone who supposedly knew more about satellite contracts. I told the person that in order to "fine tune the signal," the guy needed to get up on the roof with a meter and actually, potentially, move the dish around to get the optimal signal. She informed me that they don't get up on roofs. I asked how, then was he supposed to "fine tune" the signal, and she said that well, she didn't know, but she did know they didn't get up on roofs.

She's going to have their technical manager call back tomorrow. I may be asking for a full refund of a maintenance contract purchased 19 months ago. But before I do . . . am I in the right here? Or am I wrong?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If I had caught a post asking about the Sears maintenance agreement when you were considering it, Stephen, I would have advised passing on it. Unlike a lawn mower, a DBS system doesn’t need “routine maintenance.” About the only piece of gear I’d buy a Service Contract for would be a VCR (since their warranties are useless), and only then if it was pretty cheap.

All they really have to do is what the contract says. Actually, the meter on the TV is all you need to check signal strength, but they should be willing to “get on the roof” and fix it if you document a substantial drop in signal. If you can get the tech manager to confirm that they indeed won’t get on the roof, then IMO the contract would be fraudulent on its face and you are justified in demanding a refund.

By the way, how does November to June = 19 months?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Stephen C

Grip
Thanks Adil -- yes, 12 + 7 . . . it was November 2000 we had it installed.

We received a call back today on it . . . get this:

They do not get up on the roof. However, if we can find someone who does, we can submit the bill to them for reimbursement. That sounds to me, bluntly, that they did sell a fraudulent contract as you suggested, Wayne. If they never climb up on a roof, then how can they "fine tune" the dish?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That sounds to me, bluntly, that they did sell a fraudulent contract as you suggested, Wayne.
Well, as long as they pay for the adjustment they could legally argue that it isn’t fraudulent, and since you technically “got what you paid for,” it would probably hold up.
I guess unless there is a substantial signal loss all you can do for “retaliation” is make sure you get all the service calls etc. you’re entitled to. You can bet I would!
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I told the person that in order to "fine tune the signal," the guy needed to get up on the roof with a meter and actually, potentially, move the dish around to get the optimal signal. She informed me that they don't get up on roofs. I asked how, then was he supposed to "fine tune" the signal, and she said that well, she didn't know, but she did know they didn't get up on roofs.
What would they do if you completely lost your signal? Or if the signal strength was in the 30's & 40's. The only way to "fine tune" the signal is to move the dish (ever so slightly). I guess what they're saying is they'll do this, provided the dish is in an easy to get to place (mounted on the side of your house, ground level, etc.). I'd also bet that the reason they won't get on rooftops has to do with insurance.

You can actually fine tune the dish yourself. Mine is up on the roof and when I go up to clean the gutters, I do my "fine tuning". Wind, rain, snow, etc. may move it slightly over time. My method: 1) Put cell phone in my pocket. 2) Get on roof 3) Call wife who is standing in front of the "Install Dish" screen 4) Keep saying "how is it now?", "what number is it now?". I try to get it up around 100.

Stephen C

Grip
Two reasons I was talked into buying this plan 1) I'm in a high wind area, never had satellite before and could see the dishes getting knocked around and needing adjustment, and 2) For $99 for three years, it seemed like a good way to get out of doing it myself.

I do agree, now that I know more about it, it's certainly not hard to do. Point is, though, that Sears sold me a "maintenance agreement" when they 1) don't have anyone who knows anything about Dish Network available to work on it, and 2) don't even provide the service they sold me, period.

Unbelievable, just unbelievable. Every day I think about this I come up with more ways to torture them over what appears to be an intentional misrepresentation. Kind of invigorating, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks