What's new

Dish Network/PVR (1 Viewer)

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Over the weekend I went to watch a movie I recorded on my Dish Network PVR. When I went to the menu to pick the movie I noticed that there was something else recorded on my menu. I clicked on it an played it and it was a recording of new features that are now available for the PVR.

The funny thing is that I didn't record this feature.

Dish Network had recorded it for me.

At most I would of like to get an email through the receiver telling me that there is a new software update for the PVR and to turn to a channel xxx and find out information on the new features.

Has this happened to anyone else that have other recording devices like the PVR? Does the provider record thier own content on the recorders?

Paul

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
DishNetwork does that on occasion, I think I've seen this twice, once when they implemented a search feature on the 501 receiver and now just recently when they updated some of the software regarding PVR event management, like the ability to mass delete recordings. This is most likely what you saw on your PVR in your event's manager.

Regarding email, I have not received one email message as listed in the menu system since getting my 501 last year in July. Not sure if they ever plan on using this feature because they have updated the system software many times since then.

I'm not sure if any other PVR like device do that or not but it's easy to erase if you don't care to watch them anyway.

Jay

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I just recently switched from Directv to Dish.

When I was with Directv, they would send an email to your receiver letting you know something new about channels, or whatever.

It was just weird to see that they made my PVR record something.

Paul

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
:)
The unit will also record the 7-day guide on occasion without your input, you'll heard the hard drive unpark itself and the fan spin for a bit before shutting off again, all without the power light going on. If you see the power light flashing, it means the unit is downloading new software. Typically, most of the new software are bug fixes but on occasion we get new software features.
BTW, you'll probably find more info on PVRs and the likes at Audio/Video Sources here on the HTF, I think that's the proper area for threads like these but I'm no moderator.
I noticed recently that we got the National Geographic Channel finally. I've heard the rumors long time ago but we just got it to my AT150 plan. I was seriously considering DirectV last year because of it and OLN, but eventually went with Dish's rental program with the 501 instead.
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks