Dish Network PVR vs TIVO

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Sue B, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Sue B

Sue B Auditioning

Can anyone comment on the differences between Dish Network's PVR and TIVO? I am currently a dish subscriber and satisfied. I also have TIVO. However I would like to upgrade my Dish to HDTV or to a receiver with a digital audio output. The one I have doesn't have this, and I think its because I bought the lower end receiver to be compatible with my TIVO.

The feature I can't live without on TIVO is the season pass - tivo's ability to follow a show if it changes nights. Can Dish's PVR do this? How about searching for programming? Can Dish's PVR do a search based on a keyword like Tivo can?

I personally don't care if commercials are removed. I can fast forward through them so I'm not really keen on that feature by replay.

My other option is to change to Directv although there is some programming on Dish Network that I can't get on directv

Any ideas?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Which programming?

-Robert

3. Sue B

Sue B Auditioning

Thanks for your input. Its good to know. Yes, I think that waiting may be what I need to do.

Yes, I have considered the TIVO/Directv receivers. That is why I've compared the Dish to Directv progamming. Actually it may sound stupid but the programming Directv does not have are the college programming on Dish on channels in the 9000's and since I like Discovery/the History Channel I've found myself watching some of that programming so if I can find a way not to lose it, I'd prefer that.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You won't lose it. I watch the Discovery channels (Times, Health, Science, Wings) and History (regular and international) all of the time.

-Robert

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I have dish with PVR. go into the search function and type the name of your program. it will display all airings in the next 9 days. Record away!

6. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

I had the Canadian version of the DishPVR reciever for Bell Expressvu. I had nowhere near the functionality of my DirectTiVo. I have not seen the new generation of dishplayers, but mine was nothing more then a glorified VCR.

Some of the things TiVo features that stood out the most (again these may be availible in the new Dishplayers):

Dual Tuner
    Expandability - from a single 40 GB to dual 120's
    Programibility (a simple cable a bit of Linux and ooh, I got my 30 second skip that I used to have in my MS Ultimate TV)
    Seasons Pass
    Elgant Interface

Cheers,
    Chris