Dish Network PV501 Video Quality

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Wolfson, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Mark Wolfson

Mark Wolfson Auditioning

Are there any owners of the Dish Network PV501 PVR out there? If so, what do you think of your picture quality?
    Personally, I think it's awful. The blacks are muddy, the picture lacks contrast and the resolution is the equivalent of a decent VHS machine's EP speed.
    Had I known it would be this bad, I would never have purchased this unit.
    And to top it off, there doesn't appear to be a way to change the amount of compression like there is on the DirecTV TiVo units.
    Any comments or suggestions?
    Mark Wolfson

2. Patrick Bennett

Patrick Bennett Stunt Coordinator

It shouldn't be any different than the original DISH signal. The 501 doesn't have its own encoder, it's simply storing the raw mpeg2 bitstream off the satellite.
    Since compression varies greatly from channel to channel on Dish, you may have just been seeing a particularly compressed channel at that time.
    If you think Dish can be bad - have you seen DirecTV lately!? Ugh....
    ------------------
    The Bennett Home Theater: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...654&a=12500765

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Mark,
    Have you calibrated your TV using Avia or Video Essentials. A properly calibrated TV doesn't show as many compression artifacts because the contrast is turned down to a normal level.
    -Robert

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Cut from Mark's e-mail:
    Yes, I have. In fact my set has been ISF calibrated.
    I tried watching a baseball game last night and the image quality was simply
    horrible. A routine single through the infield made the grass look like a French
    impressionist painting.
    When the image is still, the quality is "OK" but as soon as something in the
    frame moves, it gets soft and the edges are aliased.
    mw
    Mark,
    Are you watching local channels? Dish really compresses the locals to squeeze them all on the system. Hopefully the new spot beam sat will help but we will have to wait until early '02 before it is operational.
    If you have had your TV ISFed, then I'm assuming that it is some type of projection TV (front or rear). The bigger the television the more artifacts you will see. Most, not all, digital cable systems will have the same problem. The only way to get rid of them is switch to OTA HDTV or a BUD (big ugly dish).
    -Robert

5. Jonathan Tuck

I've had mine for a couple of months now and haven't noticed any difference between the 501 playing something I 'taped' and the original itself. Have copied a number of movies off HBO/Cinemax etc and my girlfriend can't tell it's not a live feed....
    ------------------

6. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

What size is your screen and what are you comparing the Dish video to? I agree that the channels that have high compression will look akin to VHS but the premium channels among many others are pretty good approaching interlaced dvd and usually better than laser.
    FWIW the video is substantially better than the Model4000 I have had for years, both in color and contrast.

7. Chad Beaudin

Chad Beaudin Agent

I have had one now for about 4 months and am getting a great picture. Better than my standard 2800 box up in the bedroom.
    ------------------