Dish Network PQ improvement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulBoud, Mar 20, 2002.

1. PaulBoud

PaulBoud Agent

I'm definetly a newbie to HT. Started a couple of days ago by purchasing a Philips 55PP9701 HD ready TV. Wife watched African Queen today off of AMC, so she's hooked. (a very good thing "s", she's a Bogie fanatic) I have Gregg lined up to do a Calibration in a couple of weeks. Just ordered a JVC XV-S60BK DVD. Gonna wait on the Dish 6000 until more programming and more cash available. No other home theater components yet. I can live with the current speakers offered by the TV for the time being. (money an issue for the time being) My question: is there anything that can be done to make the picture quality from the Dish Network receiver any better. I just recently switched from CABLE to DBS and I was impressed with the better quality picture DBS offered on most channels with my crappy old TV. But with the new TV it doesn't look so good, blown up to 55 inches. I'm sure the calibration will help, but are there any other options. I've got the DBS Receiver output going through the VCR and to the A ANT input and the composite(?-yellow,red white cable) video output going to Aux 1. I'm currently not using the S-video out of the DBS receiver. I imagine that might help some. Are these the correct inputs for best quality? Any thoughts? Help!

Thanks

Paul

2. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Paul,

I'll be honest- while SVIDEO connection will probably provide an improvement to the picture- the thing that most people find objectionable is the compression artifacts on Sat broadcasts, which won't be reduced by the Svideo cable- and might actually become more clear.

Because the sat system is trying to cram as many channels as possible into their bandwidth- the quality of the channels suffer.

And, I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I'd guess having an ISF calibration will probably actually make the problem worse in this case. ISF calibration tends to bring out the clearest picture possible from your set- and that clarity often serves to make compression artifacts and the like EVEN MORE visible.

-Vince

4. PaulBoud

PaulBoud Agent

Thanks for that info. I was kind of surprized because I saw a noticable improvment over my digital cable signal on most channels. I understand that most of this was caused by the Locals "Must Carry" rules? From what I gather at the DBS Forum, additional satellites and the merger my help the issue. We need HDTV!! I'm reasonably sure that im not going to get reception from local stations, too far away. Once I find out if CBS is doing NFL games in HD this year, maybe I'll pick up DISH 6000 and get the NY CBS-HD feed. I might give the antenna a try at that point too.