Dish Network Picture Artifacts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drake, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Drake

Drake Agent

I am recent subscriber to Dish Network and notice on several channels screen artifacts when the picture or people in the picture are moving. The artifacts show up as black "pixels" or lines trying to catch up to whatever was moving.

For example, MTV2 seems to be the worst culprit, but there are others. When a musician is moving about they are leaving black lines after movement. Also, on some bright colored "bars" or graphics (yellow seems to be particluarly bad), you can see black lines streaming through the graphic. There are some channels that even seem to be, for lack of a better term, saturated and fuzzy.

Is this an issue of signal strength or am I experiencing hardware issues? Anyone else have a similar problem? Is this a DBS issue in general? I've recently experienced a "multi dish switch error" as well and I am beginning to think that I may have a faulty sat receiver.

I'm running the following equipment: Mitsubishi WS-55807 (16:9 HD-ready monitor), Dish PVR (model 501), Pioneer Elite VSX-07TX receiver. All video signals are using Monster M1000 s-video cables. I've also adjusted the video settings per Video Essentials. I've actually had to "turn down" the color and tint settings on the monitor's DBS input to avoid over-saturation (thank you Mitsubishi for allowing different video settings for different inputs).

Any input from HTF members would be greatly appreciated.

2. Duane Deen

Duane Deen Auditioning

I have dish Networks as well, but my picture is perfect when run through the coax or SVideo. I have RG9 coax throughout, even connecting components. I know you cannot have any swithes or line splitters inline or you will have trouble.

I would make sure you have a strong signal, by going into the installation screen.

Make sure you have RG9 coax and not RG6 to every component.

No line splitters or switches unless they came from dish Networks.

If all of that is okay I would suspect the receiver as well.

Duane

36" JVC

Dish 500 sat

Echostar 3822 receiver

SVideo, Coax, and composite connections

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Drake,

Since you are a recent subscriber, you may not know about the "must carry" law that went into effect on Jan. 1. When a satellite service carries locals in city, they must carry ALL locals that request to be carried. There are some exceptions. DirecTV launched a new satellite specifically for local channels. They added around 350 new channels while freeing up bandwidth on their older satellites. Dish added around the same number of channels but they had to compress everything more than normal. They also put some of the less viewed locals on their side satellites (61.5 and 148). If one of your locals are on that satellite you are eligible for a dish and switch upgrade. This is the same dish you would use to receive HD programming.

Now your problem is your TV and you have done everything correctly. The larger the TV, the easier it is to see compression artifacts. Garbage in, garbage out.

-Robert

4. Drake

Drake Agent

Duane and Robert,

Thanks for your input. Compression = depression. I may try the RG9 cable upgrade after the weather warms up and I can get to the roof without having an ice incident.

I also reviewed how the installer hooked things up and noticed he ran the cabling through a signal amplifier that was formerly used to bost the digital cable signal that I had before joining the DBS ranks. I'll try to bypass the amp and see if the DBS signal improves. I don't have a long run from the dish on the roof to the receiver (100-150 feet maybe) so it doesn't seem to make sense to amplify it.

Again, I appreciate your input.

5. JohnFR

JohnFR Stunt Coordinator

Drake, I don't think you'll be able to improve your satellite pq too much by cables, etc. What you're experiencing is unfortunately par for the course. Your Mit HD widescreen accentuates the mediocre quality of most satellite sd channels. The line multiplier will often make the picure fuzzy, as you describe, or it will have the appearance of being out of focus. The picture will look better if you put it in "normal" 4:3 mode rather than using stretch modes, which decrease the resolution somewhat.

If you get the Dish 6000, you'll at least have HBO-HD and SHO-HD to watch. But as Robert_J pointed out, you'll need a second dish to receive the 65.1 satellite.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

7. Drake

Drake Agent

John,

Thanks for your input. Overall I'm pleased with the service. It is certainly better than the AT&T digital cable that I had previously. I guess I'm just getting spoiled with progressive scan DVD images, and I think everything should look that good. I'll be getting the Dish 6000 HD receiver soon.

Here's a stupid question: Is the 6000 receiver added as an additional component, or does it replace the other sat receiver (my PVR501)? If it does replace my current sat receiver, does the 6000 have PVR features?

I appreciate everyone's feedback in this post. Thanks.

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The 6000 is an receiver. It can be added to your system or it can replace your 501. It does not have PVR features. With Dish, you can have up to six receivers on your account.

-Robert