Dish Network or DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by EdHoch, Jun 4, 2004.

1. EdHoch

EdHoch Stunt Coordinator

Ed Hochstatter
    I currently have the bare bones minimum Dish network offering (Top 50 channel plus local for $28.99/mo)

Am intrigued by the DirecTV offers, up to three rooms, Top 125 channels plus local, plus a free DVD player, for $39.99/mo.

Before making the switch, I wanted to get advice, hear testimonials, success and horror stories, about each system.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

2. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

When I made the switch from cable, I simply took the pros and cons of each for me personally. Dishnetwork ended up being better for me from a cost standpoint but at the time I was able to order local channels from anywhere in the country so I was able to see my SF Giants on the east coast. A court ruling in FL took that away from me though but I still get my NY channels which is why I stick with them. With DirecTV I was going to have to buy football/baseball packages to see my teams. Now, I still have to buy the baseball package but it is well worth it to me. I also can't see myself switching because the CS at dishnetwork has always been outstanding.

3. Bruce-E

Bruce-E Stunt Coordinator

I choose Directv because of the sports packages.I need my NFL Sunday Ticket,I am a relocated Baltimore Ravens fan.In 6 years no problems.Directv will sell you a sports pak for any sport(NFL,NHL,NBA,MLB,SOCCAR,COLLEGE FOOTBALL BASKETBALL,COLLEGE WORLD SERIES,CBS TORNMENT GAMES).

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I'm researching the deals now and the Direct-TV offerings look superior and they have true TIVO DVRs. Though you have to commit to one year with Direct-TV.

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Before I upgraded to a DirectTV Tivo, I looked at the Dish packages and although some were cheaper, I felt I would miss too many of the channels that I would lose if I went with the Dish Top 50 verses the DirectTV 125. It's all personal preference of course. But that Tivo is pretty cool! [​IMG] Check the private companys on the internet. You may even be able to get better deals than Dish/DirectTV offer themselves.

6. EdHoch

EdHoch Stunt Coordinator

Ed Hochstatter
    Thanks for the responses. Is there anyone out there using Voom? Looks good, but a bit more spendy than DTV and Dish...

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Voom doesn't have enough SD channels to make it worth my money. Supposedly Directv is going to announce alot of new HD channels soon so the whole deal about Voom being the big HD guy on the block will go down I think. Voom is also pretty new and you have to hope it will work in the direction you have to have it to face. It is different than Dish and Directv.

Personally I've never had any issues with Directv and their prices are quite good to me. I'm sticking with them. Dish is roughly the same though I personally don't care for their equipment.

8. MikeMeehan

MikeMeehan Stunt Coordinator

Ed,you can get deals for up to five rooms free.Direct TV is offering $10.00 off a month for six months.

9. EdHoch

EdHoch Stunt Coordinator

Ed Hochstatter
    Sounds like DTV is the way to go..thanks!

10. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    DirecTV all the way.

11. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I have only had DirecTV. The reason I chose DirecTV is the equiptment is far superior in my opinion and now that DirecTV has TiVo, the gap is even wider. DirecTV receivers just work better. Most anybody can find a programming package they like with either service at a fair price.

Chris

12. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Both have their merits. For the NFL thing, You could pay over $100 for NFL sunday ticket on DirectTV, or you can pay $1.50/mo to get the local network that carries most of the games of your favorite NFL team. I have CBS L.A. and Fox Chicago, and I get pretty much 90% of Oakland Raiders and Chicago Bears games.

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

This is what has kept me as a Directv guy since they launched the service.

14. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I wouldn't pay for the Sunday Ticket thing unless it overrided the NFL's stupid and very unfair black out rules.