What's new

Dish Network or Direct TV (1 Viewer)

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see this up on the new/old board, so which one?
I live in Chicago, so anyone here who has has any problems with reception, especially considering the lovely weather we have here...
What are the advantages or disadvantages per each one?
I am thinking about two receivers and a digital recorder.
As far as packages, either the 50 or 100 channel plus HBO.
I will also be purchasing an HDTV ready TV this summer.
And finally, yes, I have a clear south view.
Geordy
------------------

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'm partial to Dish since I have it. This is what I see the comparisons are:
First, DTV (DirectTV) has compression problems due to the overload of local channels. Very noticable artifacts.
Second, Dish offers three Dolby Digital Channels Showtime East and West, and Starz East. DTV only offers Starz East.
Third, more HD Channels on DISH, Showtime HD, HBO HD, and a couple of PPV HD channels. With a OTA connector you probably be able to pull in more HD channels from both satellites.
Dish has been very good, I did notice some artifacts on certain channels but not as bad as DTV.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Rather than getting "two receivers and a digital recorder", you should get a receiver that has a built-in recorder.
For Dish Network, that is the "Dish PVR 501". If you go with DirecTV, that would then be the "DirecTiVo".
Not only is it cheaper than two separate units, but your recordings then have identical picture quality to "live" transmission. Since the signal is digital already, these units simply save the signal on the hard disk as is, with no deterioration.
Then, in each case, you'll want your other receiver to be a HD receiver (for Dish, it's the "6000", for DirecTV, the model name ends in "100", I can't remember exactly right now). In 2002, we'll even see HD receivers with digital recording as well.

kevin oswald

Agent
The biggest reason to go with directv is their sports package. Othere then that.. dish has a few more HD channels..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks